Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Family events and feeling single

There are so many family events that I have to attend, they are usually for people I barely know, or a distant relative, or a a cousin's friend wedding. The protocol for such events are weird, and I am expected to attend with the entire family. A few weeks ago it was a wedding, last night it was a bismilah (more on that later), and tonight it is an aqueeqa for a 2 year old girl.
Last night's function was for a 4pr 5 year old boy, and the party was held because he would start learning to read the Quran. The Quran is in Arabic and therefore the boy would most likely need lessons in Arabic from a tutor or perhaps from his own parents. This religious event could possibly mirror a Christians first communion when they begin to accept the Eucharist.

The events are all very very similar, they are usually held in a function hall, you dress up in traditional Indian attire (sarees and salwar kameez) for women and (kurta pyjama) for men. The difference with Muslim events is that they are usually segregated. Which means I arrive at the event with my husband, daughter and in-laws, and I go into a separate room with my mother and sister-in-law and daughter and my husband and father-in-law go into a separate room. Every event usually involves a stage of some kind, whether is be the bride sitting up there or the 5 year old boy, etc... And then afterwards, you go into a room where the dinner is served. These functions all happen after 8pm and you don't usually eat until 10pm, and most happen on weekdays.
Now I really dislike these functions because they feel cold and impersonal. I remember as a little girl, my parents getting dressed up and going out together, and in my mind that vision did not include them going into separate rooms. It entailed a fun night out for them where they could bond and spend time together. So that is why I hate these functions. Yasmine and I are usually the dog and pony show, where we are starred at all night. It's uncomfortable and having my husband with me would make it easier.
But, that is the life we live over here, and there is not much I can do about it. The functions don't happen all the time, and they seem to happen all at once. One more function to go tonight........

2 comments:

The Struggle Within said...

I had similar feelings livig in Italy! Guys went out and girl were not allowed to go

Anonymous said...

This is the price you pay for not being in your own country. trust me,i am indian and i can understand what you mean when ppl keep looking at u and u dont hv any support to share a few words....

My advise, looks like u dont hv any choice but to attend such events, but try to put in a word with ur mil or sil and try to jus hang around them frm time to time or try "voyeurism".. best and make a mental note of all things happening around u.. thats the only way for u to kill time..

tell me did you ever think of these things when u wanted to get married to an indian ..not to mention a muslim.. ( i dont mean anything to hurt anyone , just that muslims are generally more set in the ways things are done..) and pls i do stand corrected if i am wrong...