Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A question of belief

The question I have is: Should I compromise my beliefs in order to make someone else comfortable, or am I just being stubborn?

I posted this question on my facebook status because I am asked to do things in India that I don't always agree with. I know that a lot of the time it would just keep the peace and doing it would probably make everyone else happy (except me).

Here is the most recent example and the reason why this question even came up in the first place.

Disclaimer: This is just my opinion, and since it is my blog I will write about my own feelings and beliefs without feeling guilty about it.

I dress like a westerner, jeans, t-shirts, sweaters (you know the attire) and most Indians dress in India wear, salwar kameez (click to see image), now when you look at the picture there is a scarf around the girls arms this is called a dupatta, typically this is worn in front to cover the shape of the breasts. Muslims especially wear this and cover themselves. My mother-in-law and SIL both wear this attire and dupatta, at all times. My MIL has specifically asked my husband to have me wear more Indian clothes and to wear a dupatta even if i am wearing western clothes she would prefer me to wear a dupatta over my breasts to cover my shape. My husband has told her no, and that no one was asking her to wear jeans and t-shirt so it was unfair to ask me to wear Indian clothes.

Ok, problem solved right....wrong. Every time there are visitors my MIL asks me to wear a dupatta over myself, so to essentially take a pashmina and wrap it in front over my breasts. Firstly, it is really hot and putting on more clothes makes me so uncomfortable, but I'm not that petty, it's the reason behind the covering myself up that bothers me. Which brings me to my question of beliefs.

Muslims believe (and it states in the Quran) that all men are lustful and can't control their urges, and that the only man who should be able to look at a woman is her husband, father, and son. Which is why a lot of women chose to wear the burqua when outside their home. Now not ALL Muslim women choose to do this, my MIL and SIL don't, but my FIL's (father-in-law) side of the family almost all wear this.

My grievance is that basically if a man looks at a women like me in western clothes and gets lustful thoughts, then it is my fault because it is my responsibility to cover up. He can't help it, he was born to be lustful and it was my fault since I was showing "my curves." I have even heard the argument that there is way more rape in western cultures than in Islamic countries or in India because women cover themselves. Now this is a whole other blog entry, but I have three things to say about that, first, it is never a woman's fault, she can be walking around naked for all I care (although I do not advise this), a man still does not have the right to rape her. Secondly, rape probably happens much more than people think in those countries, but the incidences are never reported. Women could get stoned to death or lose their honour if this would happen. Thirdly, rape is rarely ever about the sex itself rather than the power that comes with raping, so the woman could be wearing snowsuit and still get raped.

So this brings me to tonight. My husband called me on his way to work and I could tell by the sound of his voice he was about to tell me or ask me something I would not like to hear. My in-laws were having visitors over, my MIL's aunt and her son. Now my MIL is pretty modern and her side of the family usually is as well. Getting back to my husband, well he knows me so well and he knows about my convictions. He said, "mom pulled me aside and told me to ask you to cover yourself up tonight when you come down to greet the guests" Without hesitation I replied "no!"
"But Shelley, my aunt is really religious and I know you don't like to wear one."
"Well then your aunt can wear a dupatta, if she is religious then she should wear one. Why should I have to go against my beliefs to make her comfortable? I dress pretty conservatively, and the top i am wearing buttons up to my neck for crying out loud and it's so loose you'd think my body was lost in here"
He was pretty pissed off with me, and I guess I can understand why, he doesn't really see the big deal since he was raised to see all his family dress like that, but I know he understands how I feel, we have spoken about it many many times. I think he feels caught in the middle sometimes. But his aunt's son lives in the United States and she has visited the US several times. I am not the first westerner she has seen!
But the words my mother told me rang in my ears, she said to me after I married him to "never lose who I am or to change anything for anyone because it makes them uncomfortable." She also told me I was an amazing girl and that she knew I would do the right thing, but to never compromise who I am.

I know this might seem petty to a lot of people, and I know a lot of you are probably thinking, just put the damn scarf on and keep the peace. Let me tell you, I have done it so many times for his family even though I didn't want to. And I still do it, I wear Saree's to functions to keep everyone happy and I even wear dupatta's when I am going to other people's homes who are more conservative. But since I became a mother, I want to teach my daughter to stand up for herself, and also that she should not ever have to dress in a tent. There is a difference between flaunting your tatas and ass to the entire world and wearing nice form fitting classy clothes. I want her to know that if a man looks at her, it is not HER fault, it is his fault, and honestly, whoever said that having a guy admiring you for being pretty or having a nice shape is a BAD thing? In Islam it is a bad thing, because the only person who should be admiring you or looking at you is your husband. I mean how archaic does that sound? Women in the west don't get married at 20 and 21 like a lot of the women here, so that would mean a loooong time of no one being able to look at you!
People and sometimes these are strangers, are always asking and telling my husband to "make me wear a dupatta" and i think a lot of the men think he can't control his wife. I will not be controlled. One time while waiting to see the doctor for Yasmine, a Muslim women told my husband in Urdu that he should really get me to wear Indian clothes and speak the language. My husband told me this while laughing, but I know it annoys him too. He has told me several times he loves the way I dress and he wouldn't ask me to change a thing!

I just don't agree with covering yourself up to appease someone is the right thing to do. People stare at me on a daily basis here, a lot of it is curiosity, some of it might be lust, but I think if you repress a society as soon as they see something different (a white girl in shorts or a knee length skirt) they are going to stare. But if more people dressed less conservatively eventually with time it will become accepted and less people will stare. Again I reiterate when I say dress less conservatively I mean showing your arms and legs not walking around half naked.

So I guess my question is, am I being too stubborn??? Should I just do it to make everyone else happy?


NB: People have said on my facebook wall to find a compromise.....and I have. I dress in very loose shirts and always wear a tank top under my tops in order to cover any of my cleavage even though it's 45 degrees here in the summer, when I normally would never do this. I have definitely changed the way i dress in India because it is a different culture. I feel like I have compromised and I am trying to take the culture into consideration. I just hate that I am always being asked to change or do something different because others have an issue with it!




20 comments:

Mandy said...

Oh Shelly,

I think you are right in your thoughts and beliefs, I hope that you stay a strong, beautful "western" woman, and teach Yasmine to be the woman SHE would like to be...there is so much more that I could say, but I will keep in simple. I agree with you

Shelley said...

The first thing I thought of, Shell, is the acceptance we westerners have of people from different cultures coming here to live. We do not expect them to change their attire or culture.

I definitely do not think you are over-reacting. This situation would also bring conflict to myself but at the same time it's much easier to provide advice than to actually live it.

If you feel comfortable enough
I would go directly to the MIL and explain your issues. You did say that she was more modern than most. I would explain all your points stated in your blog even the ones mentioning when you don't mind 'covering up'. This way your poor hubby isn't the go between and you won't get asked every time a visitor shows up. If confronted she hopefully would respect your wishes. What's going to happen when Yasmine gets older? Will she be expected to dress as they request? Good Luck!!

Unknown said...

Shelley,

I am proud of you for standing up for your beliefs and for remembering the words that mom told you. Mom raised us to be proud of our bodies, even when we were carrying more weight than we should. She would not let us dress with all our goodies hanging out, but she would always tell me to "show my curves", and you know how hard that was for me. She always said that we should be proud of what God gave us and to be respectful of our bodies! I would hate for you to have to start covering up because other people want you to, you do what makes you comfortable, bottom line! Mom would be so proud to see how much you are standing up for yourself.

Love you

Rebeca said...

I realllly liked this post...and even thought I don't really know you, i really want to just say this:

Make sure that whatever is going on is resolved before your daughter becomes of age...because right now she is a baby and no one cares what she wears....

But how will your daugther be raised? Will she have to wear a dupatta all the time? You are a foreigner and therfore is granted "leniency", but your daughter as a citizen probably won't be....

I can see this as becoming a major problem when you daughter becomes a teenager with our MIL interfering even more for your husband to make sure his daughter dresses appropriately....and even thought I also don't know your husband, he will probably give in to his cultures wishes and end up forcing your daughter to dress traditionally...

I'm sorry if this seems like judging, it's just that I have a friend that went through the same thing....she is a christian who married a muslim and it was all fine and dandy until the kids grew up and the husband would not allow her to teach anything about christianity to the kids...so the rules in the house became more strict....and it was mostly through pressure from his family.....

So my advice to you, using my friend's experience, is to make sure that you resolve the clothes problem right now.....and take the opportunity to already establish boundaries for your child...will she have to wear a dupatta? or can she wear western clothes.....its these type of things that you can't leave for "when she grows up"...

I hope i haven't offended you, cuz that wasn't my purpose at all!
I love this blog! :)

Shelley said...

Shelley,

In my opinion as a man, not your male cousin, stick with what you think is right. I understand your husbands feelings and that is something both of you can come to an agreement about, cannot take anyone else's advice on that. You both have a bond that nobody knows about, but just as you did when you decided to marry, go with your heart. Don't think you are being stubborn...there is no such thing, something in your heart is telling you that this is either not right or is right. If you don't want to dress a certain way that is your choice and will always be your choice. If you choose to, then that is acceptable also. You are three people now, not one.

Just to keep the peace...forget it, not worth it in the long run.

In all fairness, you were born and bred a Canadian in the western world, they too have to accept that. You didn't just accept that way of life, they also accepted yours so this goes both ways. I see how your husband is caught in the middle, and the only reason he asked you is so his mother is not upset with all of you, and he would like to keep the peace. I would never tell my wife to wear something, she wears as she pleases. I may ask, but the end result is still her decisin and I would still accept it. Nothing wrong with speaking up, but accept the answer or reply you get back.

The whole rape thing, like you said, NEVER a womans fault. You were given certain body shapes by YOUR god, made you a woman, and that is who you are expected to be for the rest of your life.
Nobody made decisions for you most of your life, don't let anyone start now. You have done well and will continue to do well...like you said, don't comprimise your beliefs or you will be comprimising every step you took so far.

You had two very supportive people watching your back and guiding you in the right way they thought possible most of your life. I would still accept your dads thoughts and opinions, but in the end, you are the contoller of what lies ahead. It wasn't meant to be easy, but it's up to you to make it as easy as possible, and that is sticking with what's in your heart. I agree with all your beliefs and your reasoning , but then again, I am a family member who wants the best for you, and also a man.

Good luck and I know you will make the best decision for you, Junayd and Yasmine....nobody else.

Love you and give a kiss to Jasmine from all of us here in Stoney Creek !!


Dave , Annette
Tristan and Brady
Graham

The Struggle Within said...

Shelley,
I do understand some of what your going through! Italian girls were raised to do this and not that! I had a bit more lee way then those in Italy - and u know how strict my family was with me, and continues to be, especially since I married Italian!
I understand junayd's point too, as it's his family, and he probably gets the brunt of it all!
U have had a great teacher all your years of growing up - your mother! She made u who u are today. And yes u have comprimised more than I would ever imagine u giving in to!
Only u know what is best for u and your family. You are living there and have to be around your new family daily! Only u know how much u can take and can't! I have never been to India and only live through your stories. I know you will decide what's best for you, Junayd, and Yasmine! No one would think any less of you if u gave in or didn't give in! Sometimes it's not worth the fight, depending on how much it's taking away from the real you!
You have always been strong willed, and that's what Junayd probably fell in love with, because it's what we all love about you!
I remember telling your mom, how great u would make out in India, as you would never put yourself in a situation u couldn't handle, or didn't want to be in!
Once again Shelley, I can't give u answers, but I will live you regardless what decision u make!!!!
Love Maria

Anonymous said...

I inclination not concur on it. I think polite post. Specially the appellation attracted me to read the whole story.

Amanda said...

I'm confused. Are you living with your in-laws?

Amanda said...

I'll be the lone voice of dissent here. You are living in India, which means, wrong or right, you are the one stuck doing the most bending. If you were living in Canada, it would be your husband who would do most of the bending. It makes sense, because the dominant culture around you is going to support your husband and his family's view (just like if you were in Canada).

And your family IS bending to accommodate you, too. They're probably accommodating you in ways you don't even realize, often when you're not even around. I'm pretty sure your mother-in-law never expected to have a white daughter-in-law, and to even allow you to marry...?

Also, if you're living under their roof or on their property, you're basically stuck. In most things in life (even in "Western culture,") the one who controls the purse strings controls everything.

Shelley said...

Oh Amanda, let me clarify one thing, they are not holding the purse strings! We pay rent, my husbands uncle owns the upstairs and we pay the same rent that they rented it out to total strangers! We buy our own food we pay the electric and water bill, we are no way being supported by my in-laws!
I understand your opinion, knowing that you lived abroad, and to a certain extent I agree, and make so many compromises and sacrifices, that I think you HAVE to draw the line somewhere. Yes they have made compromises too, and my in-laws are very modern and have other relatives who are westerners. When my husband moves to Canada with me, I will never ask him to dress a certain way or to do something he is against. But again he is practically western anyway, and his own family ask him to do things here that he doesn't want to do!

Amanda said...

Ahh, sorry, I misunderstood your email. I thought they owned the property. And even if you were paying rent to them, I don't know if they'd view "rent" from a family member the same way that Westerners would view rent.

Well then I'm really confused. If you're in two different areas, how are the visitors seeing all that much of you anyhow?

Shelley said...

Amanda, although we live upstairs and they live downstairs, we are expected to be with them more often than not (although we don't). Most men when they get married move in with their parents. My in-laws wanted this, but both my husband and I were dead set against it. Living upstairs is the next best thing, although my husbands mother almost had a meltdown when we told them we wouldn't be moving in WITH them.
Now when visitors come, we are expected to go down and see them, and we would be considered rude if we didn't. SO when someone comes over they usually message me or come upstairs and get me. It doesn't matter if I am in my pj's, I am expected to get dressed conservatively and go down and greet the guests. It gets annoying sometimes. Especially now with Yasmine there are days I barely get out of my "house clothes."
Also relatives will call my in-laws to come over and visit them, we are also expected to go along with them for these visits. Quintessentially my in-laws want us to be the typical live in Indian son and daughter-in-law when neither of us really wants that. We try to accommodate them as much as possible, but like i said sometimes we have to draw the line somewhere.
I know the whole situation is just confusing......

Anonymous said...

I think some adjustments are expected, since you're living in their country. Even wearing the dupatta in some occasions shouldn't be too bad. If you're going to a specific event or temple, then maybe covering up (in order not to raise trouble) is a fair compromise. However, for the day-to-day, I have to say you should stick to your beliefs. I feel sorry for your husband, who is obviously stuck in the middle, but even so, it doesn't seem fair that you are asked to completely change your identity or the way you behave just to appease the family.

Amanda said...

I get what you mean about living upstairs but actually being expected to live with them. You know it's traditionally the same in Korea. Even the verb for a woman to get married LITERALLY means "husband house go to [verb]."

How often do they have visitors and how much advanced notice do you get?

And I KNOW this is where you've decided to draw the line. I thought the blog was asking an actual question. Although I disagree with nearly every other person who replied, I still thought it was worthy to voice the disagreement.

Pleasantlyme said...

hi shelly ,
came up on ur blog by accident, but ur topic is so worth a debate.
i completely understand your predicament.

Sure an issue such as your is not alien to any indian woman either. trust me, i am frm hyd and hv been in your shoes plenty of times.


Its one thing to be conservative in your ideas its another to be masochistic. ( covering up jus coz the other person has a problem a.k.a inviting trouble...)

A lot of times people call themselves very broadminded but they are every bit the hypocrites.i think understading is the key to all these issues.Its more about how well you and your husband understand each other feelings than what relatives think about you or your casual ways...
love to go .. but it wont be a comment anymore :))
Keep smiling girl.. glad u had fun at the numaish...

Why am I here??? said...

Hey Shelley,

Hold true to what your mom said. You're a smart girl and you know when to draw the line.

Actually, in 3 weeks time I'll be moving in my with MIL. I will be looking forward sharing some stories with you.

Have a talk with your MIL. Tell her honestly how you feel. I'm not sure if she understands English, but your husband can be the translator. Have you thought of that?

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Hi Shelley,
I'm a Hyderabadi Muslim girl living in the States now and I came by your blog and could not stop myself from adding a line here. I can understand that being insisted upon to cover your breasts is humiliating and would of course hurt you.
However, I do think that calling indian attire 'a tent' is being way too unfair. I wear western clothes all the time here and love them but I still miss the delicacy, intricicy, colour, pattern and grace of a shalwar kameez. Well fitted and worn a saree or shalwar kameez can be the sexiest and prettiest dress possible. It's an individual choice which you prefer to dress in.
I think most modern Indian girls like myself wear traditional attire (and look gorgeous in it)because we genuinely love to, not because we have to.

Anonymous said...

Hey Shelly, its Charlene (mackey) Ilyas, I think i can lend a few cents into this discussion, I myself am married to a muslim man from africa, we have 4 kids (3 are girls). We have been married for 11 years now, and i have never covered for him or his family, I will not make my girls cover either. He would never want me to either. When it comes to teaching our kids religion, we have chosen to teach both religions to the children and when they r ready they can make the choice. You should never do anything that you are not comfortable with. You are teaching your daughter that she is strong and able to make decisions for herself not having a man or his inlaws do it for you. My inlaws know i will not change, i still receive the Muslim dress attire every year for gifts from them. be proud of who you are, eventually the looks you receive will go away. It is very difficult blendind 2 cultures, 2 religions into 1 but it is possible. As long as your husband supports your decision you will get through it. I told my SIL that if she wanted me to dress like her then she would have to dress like me, she never spoke of it again.. good luck stay true to yourself... Charlene

Shelley said...

Charlene, would love to talk to you more! Look me up on Facebook!! Thank you so much for your comments, I really appreciate them, and i even read them to my husband. It's nice to speak to people in similar situations.

Anonymous said...

An open, honest, unpretentious post :)
Frank, an ex-Hyderabadi