Monday, November 8, 2010

More focus

I think that I want to revamp my blog and make it more focused. I started out writing so I could keep my family informed of my travels, and things have changed so much since those wanderlust days. For one thing, I got married to an India, had a baby and raising it in India, and in that I think I have enough material to be able to write for a lifetime.

I have so much stuff to talk about and to write about and I have decided that I want to do this more seriously, as I know there are a lot of blogs out there with gori girls writing about their desi lifestyle. To translate (basically it's western or fair skinned girls, married to South Asians).

I want to be more open without being offensive, and really talk about life here in India, life married to an Indian, raising a baby in not only a different culture but in a different religion (and even that is up in the air...what religion to raise Yasmine). Of course my husband wants her raised Muslim, and I am willing to do that with many stipulations. But more on that in another post.

The topics i really want to focus on are:
  • arranged marriages and "love" marriages
  • Islam and living as a non-Muslim in a Muslim family
  • Parenting in India (through my eyes)
  • day to day living; simple things made very difficult in a time challenged disorganized country
  • communication and cultural differences in a bi-cultural marriage (I feel like I can shed a lot of light here)
  • Food and trying to incorporate two food cultures in one marriage
The the list can go on and on....

But to do that I feel like I need to revamp my blog and change the title. I may be a wanderlust, but there is no more time or as much money to travel these days. I also am thinking about moving it to Word Press, I have heard it is much easier to use and easier to make it ready friendly.

Any suggestions from my well blogged friends? Any title suggestions?

I will stay tuned for more information as to how I plan to go about this. I may just completely revamp this blog....but I want it more focused, with more of a goal in mind.

I feel like I have a terrific opportunity to educate and keep people informed. I know that many people in Canada (and the US) have these pre-conceived notions about Muslims and India, and I want to shed light on certain things that hopefully will help people gain a better understanding. The media use so many scare tactics and paint very different pictures. But here I am in a position to educate and I want to take this amazing, scary, exciting and difficult experience and turn it into a chance to make a difference.

6 comments:

Uz said...

How do I follow your blog shelly? I'm a muslim girl from hyd!

Maria M said...

Keep us posted on any changes. Anything you write about has be intrigued! :)

Shelley said...

Hi Uz: Welcome to my blog. I am going to be moving the blog to wordpress I think with a slightly more focused topic. When it is moved there will be a link from this blog to the new one. Once that is et up you can sign up to get emails to follow the blog or RSS feed. I am so glad you like the blog and would also love to hear your opinions, especially a Muslim from Hyd. Always looking for good conversation and discussion. I have so many thoughts and things to write about.

honeybeeluvsjackfruit said...

Looking forward to reading more Shelley. :)

Adventurous Ammena said...

I look forward to your updates :) Im a gori married to a desi, but hes from Karachi and we are both muslim so I dont think my experiences will be that similar. But I still look forward to reading things from you.
As for your blog.. I tried wordpress and I just couldnt get used to it :( I find blogger have incorporated a lot of things into their makeup that I missed on wordpress so Im glad to stay here ;) take care

Anonymous said...

Updates, please!