Sunday, October 2, 2011

He's here!! And all the nitty gritty details...

Zain Samuel Ahmed has arrived!! A little earlier than expected, but healthy nonetheless. Born at 532pm, on September 30th, weighing 7.2 pounds and 21 inches long.

Here's how it all went down.....

I have been keeping track of my blood pressure at home throughout most of my pregnancy, due to white coat syndrome (higher numbers at doctor's office) we thought in order to get the most accurate readings was to do it myself.  I emailed my doctor once a week with the results taken morning and night. On my last visit to the dr's, which was on September 28th, I told her that I was noticing my BP slowly moving up. She still didn't seem worried, and told me she'd check my urine for protein and check my blood for liver function and uric acid. They found protein in the urine, and it's a sign of pre-eclampsia. She wanted to wait until getting the blood work done but she told me if my blood pressure reached 100 (the bottom number) to come in immediately.

The next morning, when I checked it was 150/104 and when I checked it again 5 minutes later, expecting it to go down as it usually does, it was 150/110. I quickly emailed her, woke up my husband and told him to get ready to go to the hospital. My dr. emailed back immediately and said, pack a bag, we're inducing you today. And that my blood pressure was going up too quickly.

We arrived at the hospital, and they set me up and check my blood pressure, it had gone up to 160/120, so they put an iv in my hand and I was introduced  me to the anesthesiologist, who was WONDERFUL. She never stressed me out and she was extremely vigilant with a terrific bed side manner. I was worried but she constantly told me they would do everything possible to make sure they stabilized my BP. The drugs they gave me in the iv worked for about 30 minutes, then it shot back up again, and it took almost 4 hours to stabilize me. They even called in another anesthesiologist for a consultation. I was given magnesium sulphate which had the weirdest side effect. It made the entire inside of my body feel like it was on fire. It was the oddest feeling but went away quickly. Finally, my BP was stable and it stayed that way until I delivered Zain. But it was quite scary, and I could sense the tension from the anesthesiologists and my OB.

Meanwhile, my OB had started inserting some kind of tablet into my cervix to start the dilation process and to soften the cervix. So my labor started around 4pm on the 29th with minor contractions. They would check every 4 hours and keep re-inserting this tablet. After about 12 hours, and still only at a 1, feeling completely deflated I asked her about other means. My OB said this was the most natural way to induce me without giving me a harsher drug like pitocin. So I trusted her and let her continue to do what she thought was best.

Finally, around 11am on the 30th, I started to go into active labour and quickly dilated to a 4 in about an hour. I hadn't eaten anything since the day before at 2pm, so i was weak and tired. I was only allowed water and some fruit juice. By about 330pm I had reached 10cm, but this time I didn't have that urge to push like with Yasmine. But I started pushing anyway, and the OB (my actual OB was stuck at another part of town and couldn't get to the hospital because of political protests and agitations on the streets), told me that the baby hadn't come down and that I would need to really push to bring him down. After pushing for an hour, I was ready to faint. I was exhausted and the baby hadn't moved down. And I was in excruciating pain. I opted not to have the epidural, so I felt it ALL.  Another OB was asked to come help who had been in constant communication with my OB, and they told me they would give me a mild dose of pitocin to help bring the baby down. They needed to hurry to get him out because his heart rate was going down. I was freaking out. The thought of even 10 more minutes of contractions or pushing was putting me completely over the edge and I just wanted my baby to come safely. Thankfully Junayd was a great coach and motivator and really helped me focus and get through it.  I was exhausted, and I wanted to pain to be over. After about 15 minutes I had that urge to push that I remember having with Yasmine, and in about 3 pushes I finally delivered our baby. I didn't have to have an episiotomy nor did I tear, so no stitches at all!!

They quietly put the baby on my stomach, and Junayd and I looked at our baby and then looked at each other and said, "It's a boy." What a wonderful surprise.

All in all, it was a difficult and painful delivery, but absolutely rewarding. My first thoughts after the delivery was, thank God I do not have to do this again and thank God this is over!!  It was the most difficult thing i have ever done in my life and I am thankful for getting the chance to experience giving birth twice.

Here is a picture of our little prince. We are just so in love with him, and his big sister can't stop kissing him. My family is complete.


Anonymous said...

Congrats again Shelley to you and are indeed blessed to have such a beautiful family (-:
Miss you
Kim (-:

Jeannette Leftly said...

What a beautiful baby Shelley, Congratulations.

The Pessimistic Indian said...

Congrats ! Just started folllowing your blog and what good news !

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!! you do have a beautiful full family...he has such big eyes! You are surely a trooper, and I am so happy you had such a great team of doctors taking care of my niece. I have trsf the pics from facebook to Costco and will give Nanny a set and Aunties Anita & Rachel too.Love and miss you.Pls give reak big kisses and hugs from Auntie Diane to Yasmine & Zain.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx000000000

josdovigi said...

All the best Shelley and larger family! Way to go. Love to all. Aunt Josy & Larry

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I love the name Zain! I don't understand why some women choose not to have an epidural, but hey, I"m glad it worked out well for you.

Thanks for sharing this with us and I look forward to more pictures!