Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A long awaited update

I know I have not written in forever, but there has been so many things going on here, and i didn't want to write until everything was finalized and I have told my friends and family first.

I'm getting married!

Technically Muscles still has to speak to my dad and properly propose to me WESTERN style (and by that I don't mean cowboy) I mean like at home in Canada. But we did the Indian formalities, and got his parents blessing first, which you would think is the most difficult thing, but no. We then had to speak to Muscles two elder uncles. His Dad's brothers. if we would have gone ahead with the wedding without their blessing it is very possible they would have disowned Muscles family.

But all went well and the wedding date is set for April 5th. Things happen exceedingly fast here. Sadly, my family will not be able to attend, but we will have a reception and small ceremony once we go to Canada.

We'll be having a traditional Indian Muslim wedding, with me wearing traditional Deccani (which means Hyderabadi) Muslim wedding dress. Here are the pics of a Khada Dupatta, and I am also hoping to get a colour similar to that in the picture. I am not converting, and I do not have to, as it is fine by Muslim law for a man to marry a Christian. Although, I know the family wants me to consider it in the future. Muscles has never asked me to convert, but he has asked me to learn about his religion and keep an open mind, which I feel I have done. His religion is very important to him. And for those who know me, will know I do not follow religion too strictly, although i do feel I am spiritual, and believe in God.

So that's the news. We're busy planning, and getting guest lists together. I'm supposed to go shopping soon for my bridal dress. Apparently I'll be given lots of jewels to wear on my wedding day. HAHA.

I swear I never do anything normal. Once an adventurer, always an adventurer.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!

Anonymous said...

IF I WOULD WIN A MILLION DOLLARS,I'D BE THERE.
CONGTRATS TO YOU AND MUSCLE.
BY THE SOUNDS OF IT,YOU SOUND VERY HAPPY.
THE DRESS IS VERY PRETTY.
I JUST KNOW YOU'LL LOOK VERY PRETTY
ASUSUAL.SAY HELLO TO MUSCLE FOR ME
AND CONGRATS TO HIM ALSO.
BE HAPPY YOU TWO.I DO WISH YOU LOTS OF LUCK AND HAPPINESS.
LOVE YOU...AUNT ANITA.XXXOOO

Anonymous said...

OMG i wish i could be there. But my in laws are here at that time!
We are so happy here for you! I cant wait to meet him. Congratulations to you both!

Unknown said...

Congratulations to you both!!! I wish you guys all the happiness and wish I could be there with you!!!

Miss and love you!

권투선수 에이미 [Amy] said...

Hey Shelley,
Wow!!! Congrats!!! That wedding dress is gorgeous and I love the colours of it, too.
And here I thought you had just forgotten about us on your homepage when in fact you were busy getting engaged!!! That's wicked.
Again, a huge congrats to you and Muscles. All the best for a very memorable, very beautiful wedding!!!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic !!!
I pray & wish happy married life.

Anonymous said...

I wish you both all the best too...I know you will look beautiful in that Dress! Can't wait to see pictures and hear all about it.....AND to meet Muscles(-:
Miss you and wishing you a lifetime of happiness!
Kim (-:

Why am I here??? said...

HOLY CRAP!!! I haven't check your blog b/c I was away on vacation, and I come back to see you're getting married.....and so soon ;)

That's so awesome!!! I hope you have a great wedding day and I can't wait to read about the customs on a Muslim wedding!!! The dress looks amazing and so unique. I'll be sure to share my traditional Korean wedding with you also...hehe

SWEET!!!!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS!!! SHELLEY... IM SO HAPPY FOR YOU.. THATS WHAT MATTERS.. IF YOUR HAPPY.. IM SO EXCITED FOR YOU I CANT WAIT TO SEE A PICTURE OF YOU .. YAAAAAHOOOOO.. ITS ABOUT TIME......
LOVE YOU LOTS
TINA
XXX00000

Anonymous said...

Hey there Shelley...Wow...Congrats to you and Muscles...what a wonderful adventure...we send our wishes of a beautiful wedding day and hope to see you to celebrate with you and family when you come to Canada. Love your cousin, Chantal, Tante Huguette and Oncle Pete and Family
hugs and kisses...

Unknown said...

Congratulations to you both....we wish you the very best! Can't wait for the pictures to see you shine on your wedding day. So sorry we can't share it with you!

Love and Luck, Auntie Josy and Uncle Larry.

Call anytime you feel a need.