Monday, October 19, 2009

Welcome Yasmine Rose

Dear fellow readers,
Sorry for the disappearing act for the last few months, but those who know me, family and friends you all know the story. For those of you who are random readers, I came back to Canada to have my baby because my mom was diagnosed with cancer. I was 34 weeks pregnant and flew half away around the world to be with my family. My husband was my biggest supporter and made sure I left as soon as possible to be with my mom.
Sadly, she passed away on September 6th, 11 days before her granddaughter Yasmine Rose was born.
But this post is not about losing my mother, because I am not ready to write about that yet. The feelings are still very raw and new, and sometimes I think i am still in denial.
This post is about my daughter, Muscles and my daughter. She was born on September 17th, at 37 and half weeks. I had the support of my Aunt Anita and her daughter, my cousin Sheila in the room with me. They were amazing coaches and took my husbands place. My dad was also in and out of the room supporting me through the labour. i was in labour a total of 15 hours, but only about 6 of those hours were hard constant labour. Yasmine Rose was born at 4;45pm and weighed 6 pounds 4 ounces. She's perfect!
I plan to head back to India in about a month or so after I get all the paperwork done and after my sister has her baby.

Yasmine has been a blessing in our life, and has helped us heal from the death of my mother. She has no idea what her birth has done for us, and what her presence has meant for all of us, my dad, my aunts, my cousins, and my sister and I. One day when she is older she will understand the magnitude of her birth and timing of her being born. She was born the day before my parents were to celebrate their 38th wedding anniversary.
Here are some pictures of her birth and a few weeks after.






minutes old

First hair wash



mama and yasmine


leaving the hospital

At aunty Shar's and Uncle Tim's place





6 comments:

Amanda Lapierre said...

Words cannot express just how touching I found this post, Shelley. You're right, one day Yasmine will be told about the significance of her birth and hopefully this will inspire her to do great things ... things only someone with such an incredible story could be motivated to do. I look forward to being Auntie Amanda and being a witness to what lies ahead for your beautiful baby girl. Love and hugs to you both.

Shelley said...

Thanks Amanda! I want Yasmine to know that she was NOT born into sadness, and that her birth was the happiest thing that could have happened to all of us. Both my sister and I firmly believe that our babies are miracles here to help us heal after the tragic loss of my mom and their grandmother.

Anonymous said...

Hey Shelley I'm really sorry to hear about the tragic loss, I can certainly feel the pain bcoz I lost my mom 6 months back.Its very unfortunate & I send my condolences.But in India whenever somebody passes away & a baby is born in the house, they say that the dead person is born again in the form of the baby, so in this case your mom is reborn as Yasmine.Anyways I feel she looks a little bit like Muscles. Take care.
Regards
Uzma Nazar

Anonymous said...

Shelley,
Congratulations and best wishes to you as you begin your wonderful journey as a mom.

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I can completely relate to everything you said about your mom's passing and the significance of Yasmine's birth.

My dad passed away in '97 after a brief battle with liver cancer. My sister was 9 months pregnant when my dad passed away. He died two weeks before my neice was born. When my neice was born-she was like a lifeline sent from Heaven. We couldn't have endured my dad's passing without her beautiful presence in our lives. She was a happy baby so full of sunshine-it was like she knew she was sent to heal us. We loved her with a desperation to survive (if that makes sense). She helped us embrace life when when life seemed so futile. I, now, have my own child who will be 3 in December, but I consider my neice my first born. The love my family showered on my neice has helped her grow into a lovely, lovely young lady.

Good luck to you.

God Bless you and your family.

What a beautiful daughter you have!

From,
A fellow Canadian in America.

Maria said...

Yasmine has definitely brought smiles to our faces when we visit, especially in a home with so many memories of Aunty Bett! Yasmine is one beautiful baby, and when you hold her, you just dont want to let go. Now with the birth of Quinn, Yasmine's First Cousin, The Kasunich family is Doubly Blessed.

Love you Shelley and Yasmine. Going to miss you when you are gone :(

Josette said...

Lovely post my dear.Love exudes from it and its beautiful to see. My heart goes out to the Kasunich and Ahmed families. Safe tavels you wanderlust you!