Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A vacation or was it?

So I decided on a whim to go away for a few days just to escape the heat, although there really is no escaping it as most of India is extremely hot. There are hill stations that one can go to, that are quite cool, but traveling there is long and tedious. Since I only had a few days I wanted the travel to be fairly quick and painless.
A few of my girlfriends also were looking to get away so we decided to go to Goa, India's answer to the Caribbean (kind of). It's a cute state, that is really lush, lots of palm trees and gorgeous resorts and oceans.
The weather in Hyderabad had hit an all time high of 46 degrees, and we were getting 3-4 hours of power cuts a day. It was enough to make me crazy. I decided to take Yasmine along as well, as it would be nice for her too.
It was only a few short days but it was really a nice time, although hot and humid. We spent most of our time by the pool, and usually around 11am it was just too hot to sit outside anymore, so I would take Yasmine up to the room for her one of two or three naps a day. She was a real trooper! This is the off season, so flights were much cheaper and only an hour and half long and we got a good price on the resort. It was a nice Spanish styled place with a large pool and nice rooms with jacuzzi tubs (bathrooms in India generally don't have bathtubs, so a nice plus).

What I did realize is that India in general is just not kid friendly or wheelchair friendly or a chivalrous culture, and it's funny because India boasts itself as being very family oriented. What I mean is that, there were hardly any ramps for the stroller, and I had to carry the darn thing up and down so many flights of stairs. Even at the airport, even though they took the stroller on the airplane, when I was getting on the transit bus to take us to the airplane, the steps didn't go down to accommodate the stroller (or a wheelchair), and people just starred at me as I lifted the stroller myself (or with the help of my girlfriends) to get on the three big steps of the bus. No one rushed to help us, or let me sit if I was carrying Yasmine either. Secondly, 90% of restaurants don't have high chairs for babies, so I had to take the stroller everywhere so she would have somewhere to sit at a restaurant. She is too big and busy now to sit on me, and she would have her hand and face in my food if she did.
So yes, even though it was a vacation, and I had a nice time, Yasmine and I were both pretty darn exhausted when we got back.

Sometimes India just kicks me in the ass!




We only spent an hour at the beach (too darn hot)

The ONLY high chair we came across, and not the best one at that....but at least there was one)!


6 comments:

Unknown said...

Love these pictures, they are awesome. Yasmine is soooo cute and you look great! She looks like a strong little girl. I cannot wait to see her in a couple of months.

Love you both!
Shar and Quinn
xoxo

Anonymous said...

That resort sure beats the huts we stayed in! haha!

Shelley said...

I know!! But those huts were cool...it was exciting wondering when and if we were going to fall through the floor! The best part was being right on the ocean. However, now I feel like I have earned a little luxury, especially when you have a baby in tow...

Anonymous said...

Cool web site, I had not noticed shelleythetraveler.blogspot.com before in my searches!
Carry on the good work!

Wicked Witch of the West said...

Just found your site from Sharell's, very interesting to read, and nice mix of topics to be covered (and covered to date) - great reading, and will get back to it at leisure in a minute, but had to ask after seeing the hotel photo - did you stay at the Terra Paraiso? I stayed there last year and loved it. Can definitely see how baby unfriendly travel in India would be, and I think that you managed it means you can manage travel absolutely anywhere. I am taking my kids to India later this month, but they are of easier age now. And have to say, Yasmine is just beautiful like a little doll :)

Anonymous said...

hey shelly the pic of yasmine is soo cute