Wednesday, October 20, 2010

An apology...

My mother always said, if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it all. So that is what I have done. The past year has been such a roller coaster for me, grieving the loss of my mom, being a new mom, and living in India while dealing with all these emotions. Now I feel like I can finally share my feelings, thoughts and life with everyone.

I think I honestly felt like I hated India, that perhaps I didn't want to be married if I had to do it in India (not that I didn't love my husband), that life just basically stunk because of India. But now I KNOW that was grief and depression. I always thought I was so strong, and I am, but I know now that I am also human, and that your mind can only take so much. I thought this past year that I have dealt with my mom's death really well, and that it didn't affect me as much as it should have. But I was wrong, I was so so wrong. It affected me more than I ever imagined, but also the added pressure of having a new baby and the happiness and joy that came with it as well, masked the feelings I was carrying around with me.

I heard a saying once, that applies to me in this situation, and that, you never know you are depressed until you are happy.

I'm happy. I'm finally happy after a year of anger fits, and crying battles, and hate towards India and everything associated with India, including my husband and his family. Not that India is an easy place to live. But being with the ones you love should be all that matters, location shouldn't make you THAT unhappy.
I harbored severe resentment against my in-laws, mostly because I felt it was unfair for them to be able to have a relationship with Yasmine and my mom would never have that, and my dad was in another country and couldn't have that either. And I know now that it was not right, and Yasmine deserves all the love she can get, and that means her other grandparents as well.

Let's just put it this way, I blamed, and I complained, and I made life miserable for everyone around me, because I wanted them to feel the same pain I felt. And the pain I felt was almost unbearable. And I know this now, it's so funny what you can see in the past when the present is finally so clear.

So this blog post is an apology, not only to the people I hurt, like my husband, my in-laws, my daughter, my dad, my sister but also to myself. I deserved the right to be sad and hurt and angry, and I never let myself feel those things, because I felt like I had to be strong for everyone else around me.

Realizing this has not only made life happy for me again, but it has allowed me to be a better mother, wife, daughter, daughter-in-law and sister.

I finally see life with possibilities, rather than a door that has been shut. I will always miss my mom, and the hurt will never go away, I just know how to better deal with it. And I know my mom would want this for me. She would want me to be happy, and to be good to myself, so that I can in turn be good to all the loved ones in my life.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Shelley,

Thank you for sharing -- I do know somewhat you are going through and some of the challenges you faced regarding mom and anger. I was not very happy this past year and took a lot out on the people I love most. It was so hard, because I love my son and everytime I look at him I am so proud to have him, but having him also reminds me that mom is not here to see him, love him and be proud of him. I wanted mom to see me as a mom and it hurts so much that she is not part of our lives anymore. I just hope she is proud of the mothers that we have become.

I obviously don't know the challenges you faced being away from Canada and living in another country, but I do feel alone living in Ottawa with no family besides Tim and Quinn.

I am proud of you for recognizing the anger you felt and that you were not happy. I am so happy that you are happy and able to move on. I am not there yet --- hopefully I will be soon!

Love you lots,
Shar
xoxo

sheelsc said...

Nicely said Shelley. I'm so glad to hear that you are at ease with your life. You are a great and strong person.I love your positive outlook on life. You're past year has brought you so much new emotions,and i now see that you are now ready to start your life with a new state of mind.It's a good thing Shelley.Take life as it comes.Just know that there will still be a few up-hill battles. these hills will make you stronger and wiser,so take them with ease and a positive attitude.Life will be rewarding Shelley!Don't ever doubt that!!But you and your husband(where ever you may be)are the only ones that can make that happen,together!!!!(along with your daughter ofcourse)LIVE,LOVE,and most of all,LAUGH!!!It's the best remedy!!love Sheila

Anna said...

Shelley,

This is Anna, from Armenia...we have talked a lot before sharing about our adventures about India...we are online friends of course...and I have been always following your blog...I was thinking for a long time when I will read again your posts because it has always been interesting to me...I am so glad to see you writing again, and I am glad that you overcame the difficulties you faced during this time period...Go on writing because you really do it very well...

You have a very beautiful daughter, I saw her picture...

Be happy and write!!!

Anna

Why am I here??? said...

Shelley,

Thank you for this ;) It takes a lot of courage to open up like this to the world and I'm proud you are doing this for yourself! YOU DESERVE IT!

Maria M said...

Love this blog. I am so happy that you are happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats all i want for you, Yasmine, and Junayd... lifetime of hapiness!