Thursday, October 2, 2008

Season confusion

I had this conversation yesterday with my friend, all the while thinking I was in some bizarre universe.

Labels: "Winter's coming. My skin is all cracked and dry."
Me: starring at her oblivious "You're kidding, right? The weather has been a steady 30 degrees for months now. It barely fluctuates." ( I have NOT noticed the "seasons" changing).
Labels: Seriously, don't you feel winter coming?"
Me: "I know winter is coming when there are no more leaves on the trees, when I have to wear 15 layers to go outside, and snow is falling from the sky! Then I'll show you what chapped dry skin is!"
Labels: "Well this is India"
Me: "I KNOW!!!! But you CAN'T CALL IT WINTER! It's 30 degrees outside!!"

Seriously. When I arrived in April and it actually was summer, it was 46 degrees, and it felt like a ridiculous version of summer, then everyone kept raving about monsoon season, how the weather cools down. It still felt like summer to me, only with rain, (which most experienced this summer in Ontario anyway). And now, winter is coming, and it still feels like summer to me.

I think I'm going through season confusion. No change in season is making me a little crazy. The change of season for me, was like a new beginning, change in the clothes I wear and the sports I play. Here there are no new beginnings. You wear the same clothes, the same sandals, nothing seems to change. This is my first time living in a season-less country, and although having 30 degree weather is nice, I love the seasons, even though I bitch about winter and spring sometimes in Canada (I mean they can be harsh), I like that I live in a country that has 4 distinct seasons!

Although, I am certainly not complaining the next 4 days, as I will be going to a beach in October, and it is 30 degrees out. All is not so bad I guess.......

2 comments:

Amy Eyman-LeBlanc said...

Yeah, I understand what you mean, but I'd like a little warmth right now! London has been crap weather wise.

Amy Eyman-LeBlanc said...
This comment has been removed by the author.