Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A Rajasthani dance performance: not your typical day at the office

This week at work we have two American clients visiting our office, and so it has been crazy and hectic and most people have been working 12 hour days to prepare for their arrival. Yesterday a Town Hall was held to give updates about the company, hand out company awards and then afterwards there was a big Indian dinner on the roof of the building.
The Town Hall is similar to those I have attended back home while working in the government, except there was some fun additions like a comedy skit and a traditional Rajasthani dance performance, performed by some of the employees.
Rajasthan is a north western state in India, that is linked mostly to royalty and palaces. The girls dressed in colourful orange and yellow costumes, decked out in amazing Rajasthan jewellery and presented a traditional dance for the American clients. As I stood watching this, I had to shake my head and once again be thankful to be having such a unique experience. I was surprised how the young men of the company shouted and cheered (like these girls were real Bollywood actresses), which is very normal here. Even going to a movie the men holler and cheer, everyone seems to get very animated and excited about their dancing and performances here. It was a nice experience and I was glad to have been a part of it. I know some of the people in the company took pictures so I will try to get my hands on a copy.

In other news, I am still awaiting my apartment. I was told they have a lead, and were hoping to see the place tonight. I have asked to see it as well before they agree on it. I am trying to be patient, but I am sick of living out of a suitcase, having wrinkled clothes, and eating in restaurants. It will be nice to finally have my own place, where I can get Internet.
I also found a gym here to join, and by Indian standards it is a little pricey, but it is something I won't give up. I need to exercise. Gyms are relatively new phenomenons here so are more expensive and only the well heeled can afford them. But they are air conditioned, have all the amenities, plus a massage centre that is actually a good price.
Hope to have some pictures soon. Maybe this weekend I'll get out and start taking some.
Hope everyone at home is well. Miss you all!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A unique experience indeed, Shelley. I'm so glad that you're keeping your blog current so that I'm able to share this next year (and perhaps beyond) with you. Your worldly independence and openmindedness are inspiring:)

Love and hugs,
Amanda

Anonymous said...

Hi Shelley, I just finished exercising with your mother. I am happy to hear that you found a gym. I hope you remember all my training tips.

Take care,
Greg

Anonymous said...

I can picture you standing there just watching and taking all of this in. That's who you are and appreciate all the culture it is giving you. I feel like I am standing beside you and see all that you see. Keep up in giving us this great information. It makes me feel like I am with you all the way.

I too can't wait for you to get your own place. It will be great for you to settle in and make your own meals. I know that this is important to you.

Greg always asks about you and thank you Greg for your comments. I am sure Shelley will be thinking of you telling her "focus" when she is doing her weights.

Love you Shelley and looking forward to hearing your next experience.

MOM
x0x0x0