Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Staightening my hair, finding a knife and other tidbits

Well, it would seem that many of you got the hint I obviously left on my last post about the size of my flat! Which means, yes, visitors are always welcome and encouraged. For as J and L put it, for people who want to "bail on life." I have to say I had a good laugh when I read that. For those who don't want to bail on life, and just want a vacation, my door is always open!

L, asked me what I was reading, so I thought I'd answer the question here, since it is blog appropriate. I am reading a book called The White Mughals, (click on link for a detailed description). It takes place in 18th century India, but more interesting is that is takes place for the most part in Hyderabad, where I am currently living. It's a historical novel, and I am learning a lot about Islam in India as well and the many mis-conceptions people have towards Islam as a religion. I am about 90 pages in of about 800 pages. I'll review it further when I am finished.

Some fun tidbits and experiences:

* I brought my hair straightener with me to India, with a converter, and although it works, as soon as I step outside I find my hair plastered to my face in heat induced shock and therefore it is pointless to actually straighten it unless I am going directly to work. So I can step out of my air conditioned room,to an A/c filled car, to my air conditioned building at work. If all goes well I can maintain straight hair.

* Yesterday I went out to get some snacks for my room, and I felt it was a tad hotter out. When I arrived at work, I checked the weather. It was 43 degrees out and felt like 47. So then I checked the Ottawa and Sudbury weather and instantly felt better when I saw that it was 4 degrees, with a low of -2. 43 degrees is hot, but I just spent 3months in the cold. I'll take the heat for now. Today it is only 39c.

* I spent an hour watching Bollywood videos today, and enjoyed them.

* Yesterday, I went out to buy some snacks like I mentioned previously, I just can't handle eating another omelet. So I needed to find food that could easily be stored in my guesthouse. So I bought some high fibre wasa like crackers, crunchy peanut butter, whole wheat bread, and mango yogurt. I figured I could just go to the 99 rupees store and buy some cutlery. Most people eat with their hands here, which I quite enjoy doing and have no issues with. But there is no way I can use my hand to spread peanut butter on to bread. So I went next door to the "dollar store" and looked for cutlery. I found an aisle of plates, and an aisle of drinking glasses but no cutlery. At all. I asked the guy who worked there, and he took me to a small selection of BBQ pitch forks. Umm, ok the BBQ pitch fork would come in handy if I was having a pig roast, but in no way would it help me get the peanut butter on my bread. Just a note, cutlery is available here in India, just not at the 3 stores I went into. I pouted my way back to my guesthouse, dreaming about the PB in my bag, and then decided to ask the guesthouse if I could borrow a knife and spoon (for the yogurt). They kindly brought me up a plate and 3 pieces of cutlery. Aww, happy endings!

NB: I prefer to eat Indian food and quite like it, but bread and crackers seemed to be the best thing to buy as I don't have a fridge.

* When I was grocery shopping, I found oreos, Cadbury chocolates in all flavours, skim milk, and raisin bran. It's funny but I rarely eat these things (except the Raisin Bran and skim milk), but just knowing they are there make me feel better. There is also a vast selection of soy milk and tofu; it is a vegetarian heaven here!

* I asked my colleagues at work how you can tell if an Indian women is married (as in our culture there are rings, very expensive ones I might add). I was told there are many ways, such as a woman would wear a red bindi made with sindoor high on her forehead right at the hairline. Or, she may be wearing a toe ring on each foot, or she might be wearing a necklace, which could vary in colour depending on what state she comes from, or both wrists would be covered in bracelets as a married woman doesn't keep her wrists bare. But of course this in only for Hindu women. Christian women might wear a wedding band. This really just left me more confused. I figure if I want to know if someone is married, I'll just ask.

* I'm studying Hindi. It's not going so well. Everyone is telling me I'll learn it in 2 months. Not sure what kind of warped universe they are living in. But I am not sure how that will be possible. Most Indians are surrounded by many languages from the time they are born, and pick them up so easily. Many have even studied and/or are studying French too, you know, to add to the already 3-5 languages they currently speak. It makes me so jealous! I wish I could pick it up that quickly. I have learned a few words, like, "how are you, and what is your name? But that is about it, oh and from watching TV and seeing this commercial over and over again, I can say "Are you smarter than a 5th grader" in Hindi. Although not sure how far that will get me?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Shelley u have to go to better places other than the dollar shops where u can get good stuff ........Coming to the Hindi Learning Part you can catch it up in 3 to 6 months time ......it does feel ealous when people are speaking in there own country language when someone who does not know the language ...........better be careful with the people u r learning with...........

Regards,
TALKTOME0007

Anonymous said...

Hi Shelley:

Your mother has straightened out your blogs for me and have them all printed out in order for me. They will be ready for you when you come home.

I am very interested in your stories and experiences. Possibly when it comes time for your Dad and I go to there, it will be so anxious to learn all that you know of the exotic India.

I saw that book on sale that you just mentioned and I am going to check it out. I am pretty sure I saw it at Chapters.

Your Nanny misses you and so do I but jealous that I am not there experiencing you adventures.

Good luck in your job and keep the stories coming. Glad you were able to get a knife to spread your peanut butter. I would be lost without one. This is what I had for desert tonight.

Mr. Fred

Harrish Posa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Harrish Posa said...

Hey Shelley u have to go to better places other than the dollar shops. we have a place called Q-Mart which is located in Banjara Hills Road No:3, you can take help of your Hyderabad freinds to find that place. trust you get everything what ever you use to get back home. You will Love that place.

Harrish Posa said...

Hey Shelley visit this place
Q-Mart Enterprises
Opp. TV.9, Road No. 3
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh 500034
+91 40 30223322‎

Shelley said...

I know there are other places to get good stuff. I discovered the Q-mart and an Organic shop too. I was just no where near that area at the time and in a rush. I think Lifestyles is supposed to be a good option too.

But thanks for the advice.

Anonymous said...

Great post Shelley!!!

I do not know how you are eating wtih your hands, but it does seem kind of fun!

Love and miss you!!!

Shar