Friday, May 16, 2008

I can't believe I am going to be wearing a saree

On Sunday I have been invited to an engagement for a girl and guy I work with. It will be a Hindu ceremony and a real cultural learning experience. Now what to wear?? I asked a few of my friends what I could wear and they all said you should wear a Saree or something western that is dressy. I didn't bring any dressy clothes with me, and thought this would be an awesome opportunity to wear traditional Indian clothes and not feel so out of place.

So yesterday my friend Martha took me Saree shopping. And I bought a gorgeous ash coloured Saree with gold work through it. it's gorgeous. The blouse is being stitched as we speak and luckily we are using M's Tailor so he will complete it in time for Sunday. Now if you have never seen a saree this is what it looks like (or at least a rough idea, there are tons of different varieties and styles). Bearing the mid-driff is an essential part of the look and I am quite nervous to do that, as I have never bared my mid-driff before- well unless you count when I was 10 years old!! Saree's are gorgeous if you buy the right material and tie it properly. I have no idea how to tie it, so I will be going to M's on Sunday to spend the day with her family and then get ready from her place to go to the engagement party.
I'm really quite nervous to wear this thing, although everyone assures me I will look amazing!!! We'll see. I have to do about 200 sit-ups a day in order to feel at all confident on Sunday. I will take a lot of pictures, but know that it will take a lot of courage to put these pictures up on this site!

I'm off now to do my first batch of sit-ups for the day.....

1 comment:

Krishna Maheshwari said...

To learn more about Hindu Culture, visit The Hindu Encyclopedia