Sunday, May 25, 2008

I really hope cricket is like baseball!

It's been another busy week and tomorrow is Memorial day in the USA so I have a sort of day off. Our group is going to a resort which has swimming, massages, sports and other activities. We are having a cricket tournament, and if I were any normal person and not the athletic and ridiculously competitive person I am, I wouldn't be at all worried about playing a sport I have have NO IDEA ABOUT! Ok, there is a fat bat and a small ball and a lot of players who wear white. I figure my chances of hitting the ball are better than in actual baseball because the bat is super wide. The guys at work asked me if I can catch - I rolled my eyes and told them I had played baseball for aobut 20 years if not longer. However, now I am regretting the decision to pump myself up as this athlete. I'd rather have kept my mouth shut and then if I rocked it, then they would be surprised. But now they are expecting me to be good. But there are a few factors in play here that will affect my play.

1. I don't even know the rules. I tried to find a game on tv today, and when I did I got bored within 2 minutes. Watching cricket is like watching golf. Boring. I am sure playing is another matter all together (rolling my eyes).

2. It's effing hot out. How many of you would be good in 40 degree heat?Best case scenario is I will get a tan. Indians bitch about the heat and they've lived here all their lives. I've adjusted very well as I have no air con in my flat (Tim has some in his room whihc is kept at meat locker temp) so I have managed to acclimatize somewhat, and it's not like I can wear a tank top and shorts. I get starred at enough as it is. So I have to wear capris and a t-shirt.
**Ok, update I checked the weather for tomorrow-it's only going to be 38 degrees!! Lucky me!

3. I hate to look bad when I play sports. This kind of pressure is bound to either make me suck really bad, or turn me into a Canadian cricket playing GOD!

4. Did I mention I have never even held a cricket bat and I DON'T KNOW THE FIRST THING ABOUT CRICKET?

5. The pitcher bowls the ball, he does not pitch it. I'm already confused. Bowling?? Which sport am I freaking playing??



Man, I hope I can get some sleep tonight!!! Tomorrow is supposed to be a FUN DAY!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok...so as a PE teacher I would love to help you but..CRICKET...I wouldn't even know how to explain the game...we live in North America...and in Sudbury Cricket is an annoying insect that gets stuck in your garage and drives you crazy (-:

Good Luck...you will have to teach me all about it when you get back!

PS ..don't the games go on for days sometimes??

Kim (-:

Shelley said...

I know, I know. CRICKET! It's so foreign....but I did ok. I practiced batting before playing and I was hitting the ball really far. People were impressed. But holy it was boring. A lot of standing around and waiting for something to happen. Plus you can hit the ball in a 360degree direction.
And yes the game can go one for DAYS! Luckily we only played 5 overs. If I knew what that meant I'd tell you. All I know is that the games were relatively short.
Maybe I should try harder to like the sport....we'll see.

Anonymous said...

Well Shelley at least you played the game and was a good sport about it. You are that kind of person that as an athlete you will try anything. Good for you! I would not want to be in the kind of heat you are having and especially with no A/C..yuk!! Hopefully your Company will get your flat soon with A/C. I don't know how you do it.

Love you and miss you lots

MOM

x0x0x00x0x0x

Anonymous said...

LOL --- great post Shelley!

It does not sound like a high energy sport, but thank God, could you imagine playing soccer in that heat! YUCK!

A great experience to get under your belt :)

Love you!
Shar

Anonymous said...

Hey Shel, It's Wendy. Just got around to reading all your blogs since you arrived now! Life with a 6.5 month old is very busy and most days by the time 7pm comes around I'm completely exhausted and crash on the couch watching mindless TV!

Anyway, I'm glad you are adjusting to India. I don't think I could handle the heat! Kudos to you for that! I wish I could hire a cook! At least you have that luxury. I hope that you get your own place with AC soon! You looked gorgeous in the Saree! I'm glad you are making friends and having fun!

Miss you lots! Wendy

Anonymous said...

Bet you were glad when the overs were over - HA! Sorry ... had to say it:) Miss you tons ... send me an update when you have a chance.

Love ya,
A.