Thursday, June 5, 2008

Indian Stretchable Time and more tidbits

When I was told that Indians marched to the beat of their own drum, or more so that they had a certain way about time, I figured how bad could this be???
Let me tell you how bad it can be:

1. Average time it takes to open a bank account: 4 days and counting!

2. Time it has taken for the company I work for to find me a place to live: 2 months and counting! (counting because I am still not moved in and the date keeps on changing).

3. When a friend tells you they will meet you at 7pm, expect them to show up no earlier than 8pm and that is being kind.
4. When I have scheduled training to start at 8:30pm, expect it to start for 9pm. It even happens at work.

Other tidbits you might find interesting:
  • The people come and knock at your door to collect the Internet and cable money for the month. I don't know if this happens everywhere, but I've seen it happen in Hampi and where Tim lives in Hyderabad.
  • The bars close at midnight. I went to a pub last weekend, and couldn't believe I was getting tossed. The cops were even there waiting to make sure everyone stopped drinking and left.
  • A maid comes everyday to clean Tim's place and washes our clothes by hand. Tim doesn't have a washing machine.
  • The power goes out at least once a day. Sometimes for 2 minutes, sometimes for 10 minutes, and sometimes longer. **** update**** after I wrote this post the power went off from 5am to 7:30am. With the fans off and not working, I couldn't sleep until the power went back on. (remember I sleep from about 4:30-noon) since I work the night shift.
  • Indians gossip (both sexes) like a bunch of teenage girls in high school. It's ridiculous. I had a friend over for dinner one Saturday and on Monday everyone knew about it at work. I got a ride on the back of my friends motorcycle to work one day, and everyone was whispering about it. Being the only foreigner in the group I work with makes it worse too. Everyone wants to know what the white girl is doing, who she speaking with and who she is dating. They even gossip about who I take my coffee breaks with.

There are plenty of great things about India and about Hyderabad. But I don't feel like talking about those things today. So in the next post I'll be sure to write the good things.

NB: The weather is cooling off somewhat now (getting to about 35-36) it is starting to rain in the evening and everyone here is getting excited about monsoon as it cools the city down. I am really getting used to sweating, but I won't miss it once it cools off.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are hilarious!!!

Not everything can perfect, so at least you are handling the challenges very well.

I am glad you guys got a bit of rain, it must have been nice to see.

We have our first 30 degree day ahead of us today! Finally! LOL -

Anyway, just wanted to say hi!

Miss you tons and love you more!

Sharlene
xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

People there are just too relaxed Shelley. They probably cannot keep up with you and being patient is harder than putting in the work.

The weather has been crazy here and the US, lots of tornadoe's, electric storms, humidity etc..The thing here is it rains, then sunshine with humidity or it gets cold...crazy. Mother Nature sure is hitting everyone around us. Hopefully you just get Monsoon's (rain) and no earthquake or tornadoe.s, there seems to be a lot lately in your neck of the woods.

Keep giving us news and hope you get your apartment soon. What the heck is up with that???????

Love
MOM
x0x0x