Monday, June 9, 2008

Can I be your friend...please!!!!????

I am not tooting my own horn when I recount this story, but this happens to me a lot. It happens because I am a white foreign woman.
Tim and I went to a restaurant for a lunch buffet today. And while I was in line for food, this guy started talking to me. He said "welcome to India." I started to laugh and said thanks but I had been her 2 months plus 2 months of traveling. Then he asked where I was from, and I told him Canada. "Canada." He said. "I've been there once." What part, I asked him. Conveniently he doesn't remember. Fine. I went back to my table to eat, him and his friends looked over at our table a lot. I should mention the guy was cute, but he was young. Maybe 22 or 23.
Then he came to my table and gave me a bowl of strawberry ice cream. "For you" he said with a big smile on his face. "Ahhh, thanks" as I pointed to the ice cream on my plate. I graciously took it, feeling slightly embarrassed.
We left the store and went to the 99 rupee store (the dollar store) and there he was. He followed me while I checked out the apple cider vinegar. I pretended to be very engrossed in the vinegar aisle. Then he asked me if I had a lot of friends. I told him tons. Then he asked if he could be my friend and if he could have my number? Then he asked again, and said "please I really want to be your friend!" I gave him a fake number, so he would leave me alone.
Man, I am just too nice for this country. I know I should just tell the guy to piss off.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL -- that is pretty funny!

Do you find people stare and point like when you were in Korea?

Shar