Friday, June 20, 2008

Bananas, mangoes, and jackfruit oh my!

Everyone who knows me knows I prefer fruit to vegetables, heck I prefer sweet to anything salty any day of the week. And India has some of the nicest fruit, especially bananas and mangoes. Wow, I have never tasted a banana likes the ones I have eaten here, and they come in all kinds of sizes and vary in sweetness.
And Mangoes, well you have never really savoured a mango unless you have eaten one just plucked off the tree. Yes, we have mangoes at home but they definitely have a different taste after being transported thousands of miles. You can buy mangoes on the side of the street, or in the markets. And they are pretty cheap too. i guess you can get about 5 or 6 of them for under a dollar. Actually I just finished eating a juicy mango with my cereal for breakfast. Pure, pure heaven.
Now the jackfruit, I have never tried a jackfruit before, and they just look plain scary at first, kind of like a medieval torture device. I was riding on the back of my friends Christopher's bike, when we passed a stand with this odd looking fruit. I asked him what it was, and he looked surprised that I have never tried let alone have seen a jackfruit before. I then asked him if he ever saw a real blueberry? Of course he hadn't. I rest my case.
So Christopher stopped and while sitting on the motorcycle I savoured my first piece of jackfruit. HEAVEN! Not too sweet, not too sour. Just perfect! Now I am addicted. I am constantly looking for the sweet Indian man selling jackfruit on the side of the street. I'd buy one myself but cutting the damn thing is nearly impossible and I'd probably need a sword to slice that baby open.. Each piece has a large seed and you can fry them in oil and eat them, apparently they have the same taste and texture as almonds. I might try it sometime.
** click on the links to see pictures (this is for the computer challenged) :)

In other news.....I'm moved in, have Internet, and a gas stove and am well on my way to harmony. But that is another post. This post is about fruit!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh I want those fruit!!!! I found the bananas were amazing in St.Lucia. I am just so jealous you have all this fresh fruit and I am stuck with fruit dipped in chemicals! LOL

Shar