Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Some truly bizaare and interesting things I've encountered here

I'm not trying to put down the Indian culture or anything like that, but some things I have come across has either been interesting (in a good or huh? kind of way) or just downright bizarre. You be the judge. I've tried to attach pictures of each interesting and bizarre event, so just click the highlighted link.
  1. I've seen families of 4 on a motorcycle, using it like a mini-van or a luxury car. A small child in front, second child behind Dad and mom sitting sideways at the back. In Canada, a child has to be in a car seat until they are like 70 pounds. Quite the dichotomy I must say! Now this isn't even something I see some of the time. I see this everyday, it's a normal everyday occurrence, it makes you feel kind of petty for wanting to update your small sedan for a large SUV just to fit your 2 children, when here, they are riding like this, because this is what they can afford.
  2. It's only necessary for the driver to wear a helmet. See the link in the picture above to prove my point. I mean what's up with that? As long as the driver is safe, who cares about the passenger(s), right? India really needs to re-evaluate this law.
  3. In the Hindu religion mother's line their baby's eyes with kajal or kohl. I find it looks bizarre and wouldn't this be bad for a young child's eyes? So many times I go to coo at a small baby only to find their eyes lined with thick black kohl, it is actually looks freaky.
  4. It is believed and it is custom that before a child turns one their head is shaved. This is regardless of religion, because it is not a religious custom, it is because it is thought here that if you shave the child's head their hair will grow to be thick and beautiful. This is done to both male and female babies. I used to wonder why i saw lots of young children running around with bald heads. Now I know. I have very thick curly hair, and I wonder what it would look like if my Mom had decided to shave it. it's actually scary to think about it. HAHA.
  5. I see men holding hands all the time walking down the street. And sometimes they are actually holding pinky's. These men are not gay. They just don't have any issues with affection towards other men. Can you imagine two straight men holding hands just because they are friends in Canada? Strange isn't it? Any straight man would freak out if another man tried to hold his hand. Here it isn't looked at as anything besides being friendly (but a man and woman holding hands here gets a lot of looks) !!! Muscles does not hold his male friends hands, and is it wrong if I am actually happy with that? HAHA.
  6. Women have 2 ways they wear their hair here. Long and longer. And most of the time it is in a braid down their back. I think Indian women are gorgeous, but I also think their hair could use some style. Indian hair is some of the most gorgeous hair I've ever seen, long, thick, black, but when it has no style it just looks unhealthy. Women with short hair are considered less attractive and un-sexy or androgynous, case in point, my friend Paro wears her hair short, (check out my b-day pics to jog your memory) and she is always described to me by other friends as the boyish looking girl. She is beautiful and not boyish at all!!
  7. It is very difficult for bachelors (unmarried women or men) to find a place to live in India. There is a mis-conception here that if you are single you are, less responsible, a party animal, and promiscuous. My one friend (an Indian American) was looking for a place to live and she was told by the landlord, why are you single, why don't you just get married? She is 21 years old. She was like, what does that have to do with me wanting to rent this place?? I even had this discussion with Muscles, because in Islam it states that being married makes men more responsible. I'm sure to some extent that is true, you do have more responsibilities. But I have met many married men, who are not responsible, and married women as well, but we were speaking about men. I firmly believe if you are a responsible person in general then marriage shouldn't make you more or less that way, you'll do the right thing no matter what.
  8. The biggest thing I have a hard time wrapping my brain around is arranged marriage. I mean for the most part it works here, but i think that will change in 20 years as women become more educated and want to wait until later in life to get married. Also if you are over the age of 25 or 26 and not married you are considered an old maid. But my friend Labels wants an arranged marriage, all her siblings had love marriages but she, as the youngest of 4 children, wants to give her parents the gift of choosing her husband. So here is a conversation I had with her yesterday:
Labels: So I had 2 proposals today?
Me: Really, from where?
Labels:Well one is from an Indian, from the United States
Me: Wow, so tell me about him? What do you know?
Labels: Well, he makes 3 lakhs a month and works for Intel
Me: Ok, and...?
Labels: He has his green card.
Me: OK, but what about him? Have you seen a picture? What are his hobbies? Is he nice?
Labels: Nope, i haven't. Not sure. But what is 3 lakhs in dollars? Is that a good amount?
Me: well, yes, that's about $6000 USD give or take.
Labels: is that before or after taxes?
Me: I have no idea....but shouldn't you be wondering about how he'll treat you?
Labels: I mean, I'm sure I'll meet him and get a final say, but it's more important if he can take care of me and provide for our family.
Me: (telling myself to keep my mouth shut), Oh, OK, well don't jump into anything too soon. Do you think you're mom will let me have a crack at this guy before you decide? I worry about you.....

So yes, I respect the culture here, but that doesn't mean it isn't difficult, and if you know me, you'd know how opinionated I am. Before I left my mom gave me this advice, she said "Shelley, you keep your mouth shut over there, you never know what kind of trouble you'll get yourself into." HAHA. She knows me too well.

I want your thoughts on what I have just written? What do you think? Weird, bizarre or interesting? I love being in a different culture and learning new things, but admittedly some things are difficult to wrap your brain around. Just because I wouldn't do or follow most of these customs doesn't mean it doesn't work here. That's what makes the world so interesting, it would be a boring world if everyone looked the same and followed the same culture and traditions!

10 comments:

Why am I here??? said...

WOW- what a cool post. I love learning about differences like this. That girls hair is crazy long and those babies eyes......yikes (do you know why this is done?)

Anonymous said...

How interesting!
the pics...
bike...safety...but he is the breadwinner...he gets helmet
eye.....black eye liner?? LOOKS AWFUL!but the baby is so cute
Hair'''''yep, me too..thick too no shave..he/she?..the baby...oh pink..ok
Men..Really? Doesn't turn me on.
I like the Braid....Healthier looking....classy...but the frizzy too long hair is awful
Your friend, Paro...does not look boyish AT ALL!!!
Well you are writing and observing just the kind of stuff I like to hear...thanks Shelley
I'm off to Florida tomorrow with your Uncle Fred. Ate one of your Mom's tart..Fred too...She baked me a dozen for the trip Uhmmmm.

We just curled & her two highschool girl friends..and Jos there too..good fun
Love you Auntie Diane

Anonymous said...

The bike thing just sounds like Asia. Almost anywhere in Asia.

The shaving head thing--I immediately thought maybe it was some old custom to prevent getting lice?

Do they have lice in India? I know lice was a problem in my schools growing up, but when I taught in a mostly black school (as in one or Latino students and the rest black students) in Atlanta, lice wasn't a problem due to their hair and hair products.

Unknown said...

Great post!!

I am not really into the guy holding hand thing..just odd...could you picture Tim and Mike walking down the street holding hands? LMAO!!! I guess if Canada did this and it was all we knew we would not find it odd, it would be normal.

I am not too sure about the poor little kid with black eye liner. I mean my poor eyes get irritated when I wear eye liner! LOL

Gori Girl said...

Interesting post!

1. This is common in all poor/developing countries. If your only form of transportation is a motorcycle or scooter (that's actually a scooter in your picture), then that's how the family travels regularly when not using a bus or other mass transit.

2. Again, common in developing countries, where safety regulations are less strict in general.

3. Kohl is not equivalent to eyeliner as used in the West - it's made of different substances. As far as babies and kohl - I've heard both that the kohl is suppose to be helpful to the baby's health & eyesight (maybe reducing sun glare?), and that it wards off the evil eye, so to speak. I don't think this is a Hindu-only tradition in South Asia.

4. There's a whole ceremony associated with this; I'm not sure of the science behind the idea. Anyways, any half-Indian children of mine, if my family's genes hold, won't have enough hair to be worth shaving off when they turn one. I was a bald kid until I was two or so (not any longer, thank goodness).

5. Most non-Western cultures aren't as hung up on men touching men as the West is - it's simply a way to show affection between friends. This is also common in at least some African and Eastern Asian cultures.

6. Shorter hair is more common in non-southern cities, like Delhi.

7. This might be a thing particular to the area where you live, as neither my husband or I have ever heard of it being more difficult to rent if you're single than if you're married.

8. Arranged marriage - as practiced in urban areas - is becoming more and more like match.com, except instead of a computer algorithm matching you up, it's a network of friends and family (and sometimes professional match-makers).

권투선수 에이미 [Amy] said...

Yo Shelly,
I totally agree... those wedding "proposals" are a bit whacked. Unlike you though, I tend to voice my opinion more than I should at times. It's funny how love is universal but ideas and viewpoints on marriage are so incredibly different. Bare in mind that just because something is different doesn't mean it's wrong... it's just different. Having said that though, I totally agree, so many things I see and experience here in Korea really has me questioning the mentality of those involved.
As for your friend being labelled as "boyish", I thought she was quite cute actually. I guess me and my short hair and boxing would definitely label me a boy in India... hahahah.
And as for the helmets, most Koreans don't even wear one. I think it's law but no one is really inforcing it. I see delivery dudes all the time scooting around with no helmets... they don't want to mess their hair. Their hair will be the least of their concerns though when they crack open their melon. Here in Korea it's not other walks you have to watch out for on the sidewalks, it's scooter drivers. They even use the cross walks, too!!!

@nks said...

Hi,

I've used one of your pic, the "men holding hands" one. For one of my post.

I'll surely link back to your blog. But if u have any issues with me putting that up on my blog. Then please let me know.

BTW ... Nice blog ... being a hyderabadi ... i totally enjoyed thep post :)

Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.

Anonymous said...

hi
interesting post ...abt the "freaky" looking kohl on babies(lol) if i remember correctly that's exactly what they're supposed to do, make the baby look slightly unattractive to ward of "evil eyes" as another poster has mentioned.

Mandy Lee said...

I just found this post online and was surprised how you hit the points I was thinking of while visiting Delhi about a month and a half ago! I went specifically for embryo adoption. My husband and I are hopefully due for an Indian baby in August! Theres been some issues but all is ok for now and I am already in love with my baby! I am (secretly) hoping for a girl. I went with a friend to New Delhi, studying what I could online and stayed at the Hotel Godwin Deluxe. Fyi, I recommend them. I had no Indian friends, tourist groups, never been on a plane before or out of the USA! Wow what a different world this was. Somewhat sad and so destitute. The ways, the culture. I went during Diwali/Deepavali by accident. I even bout pre stitched sarees measured for me to wear from India and mailed to me before leaving. So pretty btw. The men holding hands thing is something I had not studied and was a of a shock at first. Lol I learned soooo much. I sightseed and even went as far as the Taj Mahal! My studying beforehand paid off so much I could never explain with words! I also know that I will tell our child about its culture and be open to any curiousity. I will let its hair grow out without ever being cut if its a girl, just like its Caucasian sister (except very tiny end trims), short like its Caucasian brother if its a boy. There will never be any arranged marriage. I will never use eyeliner on my baby. So strange and funny looking. (I hope) my sons will never hold men's hands. I will never put my children on a motorcycle, or rickshaw! And I hope my children never drive like that! My driver was in 4 or 5 accidents JUST to the Taj and back, once hitting a pedestrian, seemingly normal behavior there. Lol. And my boys will learn the proper way to treat women! All that said, it was a wonderful experience in some ways and I will never forget it!