Saturday, September 6, 2008

The College System in India

University was one of the best times of my life. I enjoyed my four years at the University of Ottawa, met amazing people, partied enough for a lifetime all while earning my bachelors in communications and doing fairly well. It's a life experience I would never trade for the world. I had a conversation with my friend from work yesterday (she is a good friend of mine and I'll nickname her labels, because she likes to wear brand names) about her college experience in Hyderabad. I wish you could see the look on my face while she was describing it to me. I'm sure I looked absolutely dumbfounded. Her description of College was that is was a jail. You have to arrive by 8:50am or else the gates of the college would be closed and locked. Once you are inside you can't leave. At all. Let's say you forgot to withdraw money and you want to buy lunch, and you need to run off campus to get money, you can't. I don't think ALL Colleges in India are like this, but the one she went to was like this and so are a few others in the city. Then when your classes are over at 2:30, they re-open the gates and you can then leave for the day. The worst part? If you miss a day at college your parents are called or sent a message by text to notify them of their child's defiance.

I'm open minded, and I try not to judge too quickly, but having had such an awesome time in University, I find it sad that others don't get to have that experience as well. I know that things are different all over the world, and I guess that is why I travel. But it doesn't always make it easier to understand the motive behind these kind of rules. I'm not sure who this helps? I guess I see it as, there is a time when you have to let young adults make their own choices and mistakes and learn the hard way. And this system of locking the gates is a way of saying you really aren't capable of making your own choices, and when you are here to study that is what you do.

The second thing Labels told me is that in India, if you don't have your masters degree, you are considered "un-educated." Labels is the only one in her family who does not yet have her masters (her three elder siblings all have theirs) and they tell her all the time that it's time for her to do it. The ultimate accomplishment is to go abroad and get your masters, which many do if their families can afford it. The education system in India is quite good and there are so many people to compete with that to get the best jobs having a masters is almost a must.
Muscles mom is a PhD in English literature and is a professor, his grandmother has a PhD in psychology, and I think there is also a lawyer somewhere in his family. His father owns a small pharmaceutical company, so there is a lot of pressure for him to be highly educated and successful.
The word pressure and sacrifice always comes up in my discussions with my friends.

Knowing all this has made me more motivated to get my masters degree, I've been feeling like getting back to studying lately, so maybe this is a good opportunity. I just won't be doing it at a college in India. I like my freedom too much!

No comments: