Monday, September 1, 2008

Poutine in India

About a month back, Muscles and I went to a place called Mocha to smoke hookah, have some good coffee and chill out. I discovered on the menu that they had poutine. They described it as a "French-Canadian" treat made up of french fries, gravy and cheese curds and was gooey, messy and delicious, (so far this is sounding like poutine). They also said that is was pronounced as "foo-teen." Which maybe was some kind of foreshadowing as what was to come.

So on Saturday, Muscles and I went back to Mocha, and met my friend Paru there. I promised my sister I would go back and try to the poutine. The menu at this place is pretty extensive and mouth watering, but it's still also India. And even at home in Canada, I try not to go to another cultures restaurant unless the people who own it belong to that culture, and for instance, it's also a bonus when you go to a Japanese (or whatever cultures) restaurant and see not only Japanese chefs, but also many Japanese patrons as well. That usually means the food is authentic. But alas, I am in India, and beggars can't be choosers.

So I ordered the poutine, and knew I was in trouble when they asked me if I wanted a cheese sauce. I was like, no I want gravy and cheese curds. And the waiter was like, no poutine comes with cheese sauce.
"Sir, I'm Canadian, and poutine does not come with cheese sauce." Muscles, leans in, and says, "This is India, remember the popcorn chicken debaucle with Timothy?"

I don't think I wrote about this, so briefly I'll explain what happened. A few months back after going to see a movie we decide to get some food, Timothy does not enjoy Indian food so much, so when he saw popcorn chicken on the menu, he ordered that with some fries. Now we all know what popcorn chicken is. Tiny pieces of fried chicken, which is bite size, hence the name popcorn chicken. Well when Timothy got his order of popcorn chicken, we were all on the ground laughing. It was pieces of chicken cooked in POPCORN!! Actual popcorn was stuck on the chicken and deep fried. The poprcorn chicken fiasco was hilarious enough as it was, but seeing Timothy's pouty face for the next hour was really what was priceless!!

Moving along to the poutine incident, I just tell the waiter to bring me the poutine. I know this isn't going to be what I get at home, because seeing poutine on the menu was just too good to be true. But I told my sis I'd try it.
The batteries in my camera had died and I so wish I could have taken a picture of what the hell I got. It was french fries smothered in a white cheese sauce. Disgusting. I called the waiter over, and Paru and Muscles are now a little afraid of what might come out of my mouth.

Me:"Sir, what is this?
Waiter: "It's foo-teen"
Me: Laughing- "no, it's not. The menu says it has gravy and cheese curds"
Waiter: "oh so you want curry sauce then"
Me: "No, I don't want curry sauce, I want cheese curds and gravy like the menu says"

He takes away the poutine and brings me back the same damn thing but with a curry sauce on top. Not a single cheese curd to be seen! Ok, I have to admit it was improved, but it was still NOT poutine. I ate the thing in silent disappointment and forced Muscles to eat some too. "This is not poutine" I say sadly, mostly to myself. I can sense Muscles is about to say something, and I turn to him, before he has a chance, and I say "If you even tell me I'm in India, I am going to dump this cheese sauce over your head."

I'm just going to stick to Indian food from now on......I got my hopes up with seeing the poutine on the menu. But eating the chocolate avalanche afterwards did make me feel a lot better!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funniest post yet! Too bad an authentic poutine wouldn't survive the trip to India ... otherwise I'd have one en route to you ASAP. Your disappointment is justified ... cheese sauce??? curry???

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! I feel so bad for making you try that crap! I cannot get over the cheese sauce and the curry! LOL -- How disappointing!!!!

Thanks for trying it and getting back to us!!

Love you!

Shar

Anonymous said...

Ok, this Canadian friend of mine has been going on about poutine for ages and I'm dying to try it. Yours was the first page that popped up when I googled "poutine+india" and I got so excited when I saw you mention Mocha(since there' one just a few minutes from my house!) But then of course I read the whole thing. Pretty funny really.:D
Anyway, did you ever manage to find some place in India where you get genuine authentic poutine. I'm drooling here..Thanks in advance
P.S: The chocolate avalanche realy is pretty awesome.;)

kajal mathur said...

i lately i was on a short trip to canada, and only delicacy i loved was Poutine.
i searched for it "poutine+ india"
ur posr came up. i was so glad to see that i can an get it here. but after reading this, i guess i gotta go back to quebec to have it...:((

Anonymous said...

i tried poutine at the new york fries outlet in dubai n fell in love with it....so i typed poutine+india and found it to be available at mocha....good i read this post of yours b4 i cud go n get myself disgusted...thanx...:D