Friday, November 23, 2007

Indian men - just like chicks, and not metrosexual either!

I am going to try to explain my experiences here as best as I can, and try to remember some of the best conversations I have had with young Indian men.
If I lived in India, I am sure all my friends would be men. They rock!

First of all, Indian men are very direct and open about their feelings, it doesn't matter what they are, sex, love, marriage, friendship, western women, Indian women...I've had a conversation about all these topics many times with many Indian men.

First off, when I first meet Indian men, they ask the obvious and monotonous four questions, "What is your name, where are you from, how old are you, and are you married? I always laugh at them and ask them if these answers are even important. And they admit they really aren't other than my name. So I never give them an answer which usually drive me nuts (just to toot my own own horn many Indian men think I am about 24 or 25).

In India, most women get married very young, after they turn 18 they are considered marrying age. Many of the middle class women go to University first, but have an partner who is arranged for them to marry once University is over. If the family is poor, the women usually marries after she turns 18 and the family may arrange the marriage. However, unlike what most people think, the girl has the choice to say yes, or no to the possible suitor.
Most Indian women don't date, and can't stay out very late. So the Indian men, love meeting and hanging out with foreign girls as we are open, can go out and have a beer with them, or just hang out and have good conversation. And yes, it happens where foreign girls have sex with Indian men, and I am sure that's on the mind of most of the Indian men when they do befriend a westerner. But that is like most men anyway, I would think. Plus Hollywood movies haven't done a great job in portraying us white girls. So Indian men think we are easy (not just Indian men most Asian cultures actually). So we just have to set them straight.

Joseph and I have had many good conversations with Ramesh and Kiran about everything I mentioned above. And I have been told I am very direct, (and they love it although they usually blush madly). My first question is always, do you want your parents to find you a wife? And I think the majority of the time, the men say they want a love marriage. I ask them the obvious questions if they are allowed to marry a westerner (and all have said yes) that is not a problem. This might be more true for the men, as opposed to the women. As I haven't had one single conversation with an Indian woman about this.
While living in Korea you saw many white guys with gorgeous Korean women, and it is exactly the opposite here. I have seen western girls (French, Canadian, English, German, Dutch) with gorgeous Indian men, and they might get a few stares now and then, but it doesn't seem to be an off limits thing here.

While in Cochin, I went to a jewellery shop where the guy working was about 24 years old, and from Kashmir (up north). And while buying jewellery we got to talking about stuff. Actually it was 2 Indian guys, Joseph and me (as always I am usually the only girl and I am getting quite used to it). Adil (the shop keeper) asked if we wanted tea and to stay and chat with him, and we did. We chatted about homosexuality, transsexuals, love marriage, like 4 chicks, over tea. OK I am a chick but they aren't and I loved every minute of it. Adil even picked out the ankle bracelet and I ended up buying, while telling me that if he had a wife, this ankle bracelet would be the one he would like her to wear. Who can argue with that (I bought it after I bartered him down to a good price) Friend or not, I still want a fair price.

A funny story Adil shared with us went something like this (and remember I had just met the guy about a half an hour earlier) but apparently we were now best friends.

A few months back, this woman came into his shop and she was dark skinned (black he thinks), and he said " he had attraction with her." She wanted to buy a Saree, and as he was helping her with the Saree, something in the front of her moved. He stepped back and then looked at her hands, and he said "hands were very very big, like hands of a man." Then he said to me with the straightest face "how can that be, I make attraction with her but she has a man's part. I think maybe I am gay."
Trying not to laugh too hard, I told him that didn't make him gay and that his reaction was normal. Poor Adil. But what I loved about it, was his honesty and openness to the situation.

Another thing I have also noticed about Indian men, is that they actually appreciate and find a woman more attractive when wearing Indian clothes. But the looks you get wearing a Salwar or Saree is different than the looks you would get wearing revealing western clothes. The night I went to the Kathakali performance, I decided to wear the Salwar I bought in Mumbai. It's a pink top that goes about mid-thigh with gold and blue flowers. I bought gold baggy Salwar pants and a gold scarf to go with it (which you have to wear to finish the look). I got so many approving looks, and some guys on a bike actually said "Nice salwa" (short for Salwar Kameez). The guys at the guesthouse gave me a thumbs up when I left for the performance, and told me I looked stunning. I actually felt kind of frumpy at first, but after the evening was over, I definitely felt more exotic. I even rode on teh back of a motorcycle in it, scarf flying and all!!

Adil told me that he would show me how to tie a Saree, but he warned me that all the men would follow me if I wore one, as a beautiful western girl with a Saree would attract many Indian men. Adil is also probably one of the best looking Indian men I've seen. He has light northern skin and hazel eyes. So the compliment was definitely flattering. (Joseph took a picture of us two guys and me shooting the shit) when he sends it I will post.

And that brings me to attraction and looks and personality. Almost all the Indian men I have met seem to be more interested in personality than looks. Sure they check out a hot girl, but their idea of what is beautiful is definitely different than what western ideas are. A kind and caring person, may attract an Indian man, more than a hot blond babe. Also body types here vary, as Indian women seem to be of all different shapes and sizes. Yes many are smaller, but not all of them, and Indian men seem to appreciate all body shapes and sizes.

Also, sex is a question that comes up often and Indian men are not shy about asking very direct questions. I usually say "hey, isn't this the place that invented the Kama Sutra? You guys should be giving us a lesson or two."
Ramesh answered this one the best, as he said "Yes, we invented Kama Sutra, but we have no one to practice it on, as Indian women want to be virgins until marriage. Or so they say anyway."

Sorry Ramesh....but you can't practice on me.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally laughed out loud at the transvestite story ... too funny. What an open post ... very informative ... I'm anxious to see if your mom leaves a comment to this one;) Trust me ... I learned with Anant just how forward Indian men can be with their opinions, feelings, etc. E.G. "I find this food really bland" - comment made aloud at the table at a family dinner whereby my Mom went to a heck of a lot of effort to make us a Chinese food feast complete with chopsticks. His openness could definitely be charming at times but at others could've been contrued as naivete. No one's perfect!

Shelley said...

Yes, it's an open post, but what is the point of having a blog, and experiencing all this and keeping it all to myself.
I think my mom probably enjoyed reading it, and got a good chuckle too ;)
I remember you telling me about Anant, quite funny actually.
It's nice to have had these experiences though, even if they are slightly rude or over the top.

Anonymous said...

Amanda and Shelley:

My comments, well, yes I truly enjoyed reading every word on this one and eh, I am not surprised at anything today and what Shelley will be telling us. I certainly appreciate her honesty and her writing. When I read her comments and experiences, I can actually see her in front of me with large open eyes, that smile on her face and her total attention to hear, see and listen to what they are doing, saying and telling her. She is taking it all in to make sure we experience this with her. So I am no shocked at whatever she is writing as she knows that I appreciate her telling me everthing. I do not expect any less from her. Her Dad and I are loving it. We miss her though and anxiously waiting for her to come.

Shelley, everyong is enjoying your journal very much and Nanny's Fred can't wait to see you to discuss your adventures. He has been reading them faithfully and has a print of it all and put away in his binder.

Love you Shelley and as always be careful

See you soon Mom

Miss you too Amanda and please remember is you ever want to come and see me, please come to Sudbury for a visit. You are both welcomed anytime....

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.

Jagadeesh said...

Hello Shelley

Your post is very good and it is helpful for understanding the cultural differences. I am an Indian Man and stay at Hyderabad want to understand the cultural differences between India and french. I need your personal time to explain the things and to get the answer from you. Please let me know your availability.
Best Regards,
Jagadeesh

Jagadeesh said...

good one and will help to understand the cultural differences. I am from Hyderabad and want to meet you personally to understand the cultural differences of India and France. Please let me know your availability.

Jagadeesh said...

Hello Shelley,

It is very good article, informative & addressed the right things. I felt that you haven’t understood the Indian culture completely. There is good and bad in every society. I am trying to address the issues where you have no knowledge about the Indian culture and where your culture lags in certain issues. I request you not to publish this.

1. Almost all the Indian men I have met seem to be more interested in personality than looks. A kind and caring person may attract an Indian man, more than a hot blond babe. – Yes it is completely right.
Nobody is perfect in this world and we like kind and caring woman because they forgive us for our small mistakes or emotional outbursts. These kind and caring woman are stubborn (against Infidelity) when comes to certain values & hot blonde don’t have these values.

2. Arranged marriages by Parents– May be I will rearrange this as Well thought marriages.
We feel our parents are the best people who know our personality & want the best in our lives. That is the reason we respect their decision and ultimately marriage depends on our Yes. We feel that Marriage is for Life.
What about the present day Western dating sites – is it arranging the relationships on their own?
Here I put a question that why the divorce rate at Europe is around 50% (where as the divorce percentage in Indian society is 1%)? Before marriage they stay (In Europe) together for 2-3 years and then go for marriage & Divorce – What they understand each other? (Zero!).
Once we are married our feeling to our life partner is you belong to me and I belong to my wife, so small misunderstandings & dominance (sometimes women dominates & some time men) considered as sweet things and not considered as arrogant & not cause the break in relationships.
Continued in next post-----(Total 6 points)

Jagadeesh said...

Points 3-5
3. Romantic – We are much more romantic & caring than west once we committed to a relationship. Lord Ram in our minds (Idol for monogamy) –may be the reason for this. We store these feelings till our marriage and this makes our relationship bonding stronger. We respect purity and feel this (purity) is the best gift I can give it to my partner & the same I should get as a gift from her. We respect the purity terms, strict taboo of one romantic relationship in life and this made us direct or rude sometimes while talking to a woman.
My question is: Average Number of partners for western women is 5 and for man it is 13. What it means – Confused about relationships & more infidels to partners (not all)?
See the link below
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1581043/French-women-are-the-sexual-predators-now.html
We believe man & woman relationship is sacred in nature and we even consider sex is sacred. This makes us not to go for multiple partners & less romantic. Indian men consider woman is near to nature, since nature has production, reproduction and recycling capacity. Women have this capacity (can give birth – production (one quality of nature) and are near to nature. Indian men (most) don’t want to spoil the nature.
We feel that westerners are pickle (change in attitudes – not all) about relationships which is strict negative in Indian society (relationship is for life is most respected). Attaching & detaching from the relationships at west is fast (see my experience in Item 6) hence you don’t find much multi racial couples at India. The thinking of westerner who married an Indian is Indian (having Indian values) at mind and this is true with you. We equally respect the love marriages if it is for life.
4. Sex – Our culture gives lot of respect on Monogamy at body and heart & believes in purity. This is the reason we avoid pre-marital sex.
Indian women/ Indian society don’t like a man who is having affairs and pre-marital sex. They value the inner beauty of a man and vice versa. We can practice Kama sutra after marriage but with the concern of our life partners. The other side of the coin is – We feel sex is important in life but it is only the part of the life.
5. Chicks and not metro sexual – All the above made us chicks & not metro sexual. But these chicks value the relationship a lot and give their life for their loved one where as in the west the percentage is a quarter of this.

Jagadeesh said...

6. Why Indian women are great - I am married and my wife is the first women in my life & my marriage is arranged. I always feel my wife is the greatest woman I met in my life.
Few years ago, A French woman roamed around me for 20 times even I don’t know that she is coming for me. Her friends made me to know this with indirect comments. May be we are poor with the knowledge of flirting I was not understanding what is the meaning of their comments.
I never talk to her in long except short words (Hi or hello) since I did not understand what happening around me. I was impressed by her attempts and even I liked & respected her a lot and left that place because of health reasons and their comments tuned to bullying at workplace. I wonder if they want to know about me it will take one minute for them to know and it took me two months to understand what happened around me. All the above is happened in one of the famous European company.
After 6 months I contacted her thru social working site and she told thanks for contacting her. I asked her I am married why you came for me that many times (She knows I am married), she told me that she never met & know me. I told her that I like you but our relationship is right provided we are good friends. Even though she claimed that she never met me. After putting lot of efforts to try to convince her I stopped writing and kept silence. After that she puts certain comments at her facebook profile: “Silence kills, women claims” & after my direct reply she puts:”Take more space”. I wrote to convey it directly if she wants to convey something. Again she claims she never met & knows me and blocked me. All this happened for a period of three years

I surprised by her acts and felt that this woman feeling I valued in my life. What she tried to understand me (why I contacted her by searching her for 6 months) – It is strange for me. I really surprised what made her to roam around me that many times and make certain seductive things – what she understood me at the end (zero!).

In contrast the understanding capacity & Patience of the Indian women is great and western women should take the coaching from them. Western women (not all) try to dominate the man with seduction (Seduction creates Lust, Lust don’t stand for life) hence the relationships are short.
Indian women (Most) dominate the man with love, being patient, sacrifice and giving the priority to her man than her, hence the relationships are for life. This makes the Indian women admirable and great.

I am telling my opinions and try to address the things where you don’t have the clarity about our culture. The above is not to affect any body feelings and please write me directly if you want to debate on certain issues. Ultimately it is the individual choice to live their life how they want without disturbing others life.

Best Regards,
Jagadeesh. A.