Friday, November 23, 2007

Update: Where I am!

Just wanted to let everyone know what my plans are.....a few things have changed.
Joseph and I decided to split up as he wanted to go to a tea plantation in Kerela called Munnar. Although I was interested, an opportunity presneted itself that I didn't feel I could pass up.

There is a place in Hampi called the Hampi Children's Trust, it is an orphanage and they need volunteers to teach the children English, help them with homework, make their dinner, help them get ready for school etc....
Kiran, volunteers there, and teaches the kids sports and English, and when I mentioned my plans to do my masters and needing more volunteer work he said he could speak to the owner, and get me in to do some volunteering.
Ever since I have arrived in India I have wanted to give to the country in some way, I just have this need to do some good, and this seems like as good a time as any. Plus I love Hampi (and most people I meet love Hampi as much as I do and is their favourite place). I would love to travel some more throughout India ( and I definitely plan to), but I think this is too good an opportunity to pass up. I am hoping to volunteer a few hours a week and it could turn out to be a lot more than that.
A quote I read in a book once came to mind when I made this decision to come back to Hampi and it is "luck only happens when fate gets tired of waiting." So I took this as a sign that this opportunity presented itself to me for a reason.

So I'll be spending my days with monkeys and ruins, and children with no parents, who need me more than I need to travel through more of India. I've made great friends here in Hampi and so seeing friendly faces everyday makes it an easy decision to make.

So I arrived in Hampi this morning, after taking a short and cheap 45 minute flight ($40) from Cochin to Bangalore, and then a 10 hour night train to Hampi. It's definitely a different experience traveling on my own, but I love the freedom and most of the people I meet are very friendly and eager to help.
Last night I shared the sleeper car with 5 older Indian men who snored through the night and kept me awake. But they were nice and kept the staring to a minimum.
I made it safely, and Kiran's brother was waiting for me to take my bag and reward me with a hot cup of coffee. (Kiran was at the banana plantation working and met me later in the day).

So that is the story so far. Will try to upload pics from Cochin in the next few days......

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the recent snowfall. Muwahahaha!!! It's a gorgeous 28 degrees here (and cools down to a nice 16-17 degrees) at night.
Not missing the cold weather at all!!!

And lastly, wishing my sister and her husband an awesome honeymoon. They leave Sunday to the gorgeous heavenly island of St. Lucia. Have fun you two!!!! Make sure to leave the hotel room a few times too ;)

Oh and really lastly, I want to congratulate my good friend Wendy. Her and her husband Eric welcomed a 6 pound 7 ounce baby boy into the world on November 14th after practically no labour. His name is Kyle James Hodson! Congrats Wendy and Eric. And welcome to this wild and crazy world little Kyle.

By the way, if you have an y question you want me to answer or more things you want me to cover, please add a comment with the question. I'll try to answer as best I can.

warm hugs and kisses........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here I am again Shelley:

Just want to tell you that your Dad and I are very proud of you in helping the children at the orphanage. I can see you with these kids, giving them as much attention as you can, teaching them English, dressing them, playing with them and giving them a hug goodnight, this is so beautiful and kind of you to do these for these children.

Shelley, please respond to my email and in case you did not get it I will send another today. Thanks and love you