Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Hookah smoking and poutine

I'm sure you're confused by the title, but yes, I encountered both hookah smoking and poutine in the same night and at the same place!
On Saturday night a friend took me to a popular funky cafe called Mocha. Inside are couches and small tables, Arab style. You can also sit outside on a makeshift bed with a table. This place also has the best coffee in Hyderabad, and I chose Costa Rican coffee and we both ordered the Marrakesh hookah (this picture looks like the one we smoked). Now, how to describe the hookah (wikipedia can probably do a better job- so check out the link before continuing to read. It's very very mild, hence the reason I could smoke it and not cough up a lung. And it tastes fruity, I guess strawberry flavoured is the closest I can come to describing it. The flavoured tobacco is filtered through milk which is what makes it so mild. The amount of smoke you blow out after taking a long drag is massive and white, the cafe itself is filled with this sweet smelling smoke and it in no way resembles cigarette smoke. Non-smokers can enjoy this once and a while without any of the disgusting smells, tastes, coughing and hacking that cigarettes can give you.
So all in all hookah smoking was a good first experience, and I'd do it again. The cafe was playing some great music, it was chilled out and a great place to hang out on a rainy Saturday night.
Now to get to the poutine part, I was sifting through the menu and at the very back under specialties poutine was listed. It was the only thing listed and it described it as a "French-Canadian delicacy" (hardly a delicacy I think) and then it described it as "gooey, gross and utterly delicious." I didn't order it, because we were planning to go for Chinese food, but boy was I giddy and excited when I saw that. A piece of home so far away. Now before I get too excited I'll need to go back to this place and try the poutine, because the Indians could very well have butchered this Canadian treat. I will keep you all informed as to my poutine taste testing. It did put a big smile on my face though.....but in order the pass the test, the cheese has to make my teeth squeak, the true test of a good cheese curd!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poutine!!! Oh you are going to have to try and let us know!

I bet opening a CND style chip truck in India would make a lot of money, show them how a real poutine should be made!

Love you
Shar

Anonymous said...

Try that poutine already, I am dying to know how it is!!! LOL

If it sucks, it may be a good start of a business, a chip tuck in India!!!! LOL

Shar
xox