Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Weight loss

When I was at home there was always an internal struggle to exercise, eat low fat, eat light products, watch the amount of carbs I ate, etc, etc, etc. And I think everyone should exercise to feel better, and keep themselves healthy. And just because I am in India that hasn't changed. But it's different. I don't think about it- AT ALL!

I eat whatever I want, in moderation. Such as I only allow myself rice twice a week. The stuff is the devil to me, and it is white, glutenous and delicious. It's a staple in the Indian diet, and most people eat it 3 times day. My body will not accept this! It will rebel. I've managed to be able to stick with the 2 times a week rule. However, I allow myself roti everyday, but it is made with whole wheat flour and water. I also exercise at least 3 days a week, I run about 5k and do about 20-25 minutes of weight training. When I want chocolate, I eat it, when I want ice cream I eat it, when I want a regular coke instead of diet, I drink it. When the Indian dish in the cafeteria looks like an oil well, I still eat it. And I do this with absolutely NO GUILT!! But I also eat small portions. The reason for this is because I am not eating low fat tasteless food, I need much much less food to satisfy me. Plus the spices used in Indian food are so savory and delicious they tend to satiate the palate much more so than other cuisines.

The best part, is the weight is melting off me. It's mostly a good thing, but now my clothes are noticeably bigger, and I need belts for many of my pants. I'm not complaining. But I love that when you don't think about every little thing you put into your mouth, you tend to enjoy life so much more, and manage to lose weight along with it.

There are some noticeable things I am not doing which is probably helping with the weight loss:
  • I only drink alcohol moderately. (In Korea it was a sport for the foreigners, but many of my Indian friends don't drink)
  • I don't eat fast food (I've had pizza twice since arriving in India) if I want pizza I'll have it though. I just haven't craved it.
  • I don't eat junk food-other than chocolate. I have fallen in love with the Cadbury's Fruit and Nut bar. And I only eat that once in a while
  • Portion sizes in restaurants are half the size than they are at home, and when eating with friends we share dishes
  • I cook my own food 80% of the time- the cafeteria food at work is very greasy
  • I don't worry too much about what I am eating and I don't feel guilty about it!!! I never deprive myself!
So the moral of the story is, yes if you want to lose weight, you need to make changes in your life, you need to exercises, or you will never keep the weight off. But you can do it slowly, and without giving up everything you love to eat. You just need to be smart. And people, you do not need to move to India to lose weight either. Sometimes all you need is just a different perspective.

On another note, I'm keeping up with the Olympics through the internet, and want to wish the Canadians the best of luck!! They need to start earning some medals soon though!! I mean India got it's first gold medal at a summer Games in like forever in shooting!! Which is awesome, and I am so happy for them. But come on we are Canada. We kick ass!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you shelley! Makes a lot of sense.

Love you

Shar
xo