Thursday, August 28, 2008

Nosy, nosy people

People here are nosy, so darn nosy. They have nothing else to do with their time and second of all they are judgmental as all hell. However, I have been told by numerous people that people in India are generally like this.
I'll tell you about the workplace on another blog entry because I don't even have enough time to get into that. But here is a situation that happened with my landlord on Saturday. I was out all day, sight seeing, having lunch blah blah blah. I arrived home with J, around 630-ish with a few minutes to shower and get ready to go out again. I bump into my landlord who lives in the bottom floor flat.
Here is the conversation: And my landlord's English is not that great, but we can make small talk.

Ll: Where were you all day?
Me: Ahhh, I was out.
LL: Where?
Me: I was sightseeing, Golconda fort and lunch and why do you want to know...??
LL: Electrician came today to fix something and you weren't home.
Me: Oh, did we set up a time for him to come? (knowing we didn't set something up and now I'm getting very annoyed)
LL: No, but he come
Me: Well you should call me and tell me these things, it's not my fault I wasn't home.
LL: So you aren't going out tomorrow right?
Me: YES. I am going out. Why?
LL: Electrician needs to come
Me: OK what time? I'll arrange to be home
ll: Morning
me: No sir, I need a time. Morning could mean anything from 8am-2pm
LL: 10am
Me: Fine. But if by noon if he isn't there, i will have to leave.
LL: Are you going out tonight? (eying J who is standing next to me, suspiciously, and J is grinning at the situation just wanting to see how I handle it).
Me: Yes. It's my birthday
LL: Ok. Where you going?
Me: (sighing heavily) a pub
LL: Don't be out so late, it can be dangerous.
Me: (Incredulously) Thanks I'll keep that in mind.

After we are out of earshot and going up the stairs I turn to J and say to him, "I just turned 32, how come I feel like I'm 15 again?" he smiled and said, "welcome to India."
I really really am starting to hate hearing that. I KNOW WHERE I AM!!!!!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL --- very funny Shelley!!

love you,

shar