Thursday, August 21, 2008

How I spent my birthday!

Well another birthday come and gone, and the second one I spent living in another country. My experience in South Korea was nice, except the green tea cake I got. Now that was disappointing!
In India, it was a nice experience, and no green tea cake. Actually in India the rules are kind of the opposite than at home, or in most places. The person who is celebrating their birthday usually takes their friends out, and pays them a lunch or dinner or drinks at a pub. Also when you get your cake it is tradition to get it smeared on your face.
So on Saturday I'll buy my friends a round of drinks at the pub and hopefully they won't smear cake on me, because I plan to be wearing nice clothes. I don't think I'll take it too lightly if I do get a whole bunch of cake in my face. I'm a good sport, but come on that's just gross and a waste of perfectly good cake!!!

So back to how I spent my birthday. Well I woke up nice and early and went to Juice, my salon of choice here and had a pedicure, manicure, and a hair cut. So essentially I pampered myself. Then J came to meet me and he took me shopping where I bought myself a cute birthday outfit. Skinny black trousers, and a black top. I love my new figure cause these pants were skinny and went just above the ankle (think Audrey Hepburn style cigarette pants). I'll wear them Saturday and take some photos. Then I took J to my one of my favourite restaurants called Chutneys. It's a veg restaurant (what they call vegetarian restaurant), and you are served these amazing chutneys with your meal, like coconut chutney, ginger chutney, and curry chutney . I had an amazing paneer tikka dosa. Paneer is Indian cottage cheese that is hardened, and tikka is the spice. It was so delicious. J, who does not really love vegetarian food, cause for most non-vegs in India if they don't have meat at every meal it isn't a meal, actually enjoyed his meal of mushroom masala and butter naan.

I also received some great gifts from my friends at work. My friend Parvathy and Delsuz bought me a gorgeous candle holder and tea lights. M, bought me some copper coloured Indian style sandals (I'll take pics and post soon), J bought me a royal blue silk halter top and a white and black dress/top to wear with leggings, earrings and flowers. Good taste for a guy I must say!! And Shae bought me a lovely black scarf.

All in all a wonderful birthday spent with new friends, in a new culture, and country. Quite a lovely experience, and made getting another year older a little easier.
I missed spending my birthday with my girls back home, but thank you all sooooo much for the birthday wishes. It means so much to hear from all of you!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that you had a nice birthday Shelley. We tried to call you but could not get through as either you did not have your phone on or hard to get through INDIA. We tried to call our time 6:30 a.m. Aug. 20/08. So sorry could not get through but Dad and I were thinking of you all day. Did your Nanny get through.....Anyway happy you had a great day and we love here back home. MOM and DAD

Anonymous said...

Hey Shelley!

Glad you had such a nice day of pampering! I tried calling you too, but I do not know if I had the wrong number or what! LOL --

Have fun on Saturday with your friends and I love you lots!!!!!!!!

Shar
xoxoxo

Fiona said...

Glad to hear you had a great birthday! Next time we're in the same place, I'll have to treat you to something for your b-day - I don't like this tradition where you take other people out on your birthday!